• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Briefing Paper - New CEST and No Historic Enquiries using SDS Data

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would make sense that HMRC will focus more on non-compliance after the private sector reforms go through. They'll want to build up some case law to scare off medium/large companies from thinking they can just restructure contracts and carry on as usual.

"The cost of non-compliance in the private sector is growing and will reach £1.2 billion a year by 2022/23"

Going after contractors for work done pre-reform isn't really going to help improve their tax receipts needed to run public services.
    But maybe they have a different take on that?

Comment

Originally posted by wiffwaffwaa View Post
      This will be unpopular, but I believe HMRC have been absolutely clear in the past that they will go back and chase back taxes, should you have incorrectly being classified as being outside IR35 instead of inside.

What hasn't been clear, is the determination of the IR35 for varying scenarios. But this is common with legislation and interpretations.

However with this released guidance from HMRC, this is the first time HMRC are explicitly stating their intentions with newly interpreted inside R35 contracts from April 2020. They have not previously stated this, so I for one welcome this release, even if I find the entire IR35 legislation counter productive.
      Comes down to your apitite to risk. They have made it clear the data will be used where before they said it would not. Blanket letter to all of those who operated and stayed, stating we suspect you have incorrectly declared yourself outside for x years at y client as they have now deemed you inside. Please correct your tax returns or we may investigate for fraudulent ir35 deceleration.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        The HMRC statement, like all of them, is very carefully worded.

HMRC have taken the decision that they will only use information resulting from these changes to open a new enquiry into earlier years if there is reason to suspect fraud or criminal behaviour.

The emphasis is mine.

Read these carefully and make a judgement.
        The “reason to suspect” leaves the scope to be very wide if they wish...
        Out to in same client- reason to suspect
        Contract to perm same client - reason to suspect
        Blanket outside determinations at client - reason to suspect all historical contracts at same client were in
        Etc
        Etc

They are really stating nothing here just playing with words to commit to nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TheInvoicer View Post
          The “reason to suspect” leaves the scope to be very wide if they wish...
          Out to in same client- reason to suspect
          Contract to perm same client - reason to suspect
          Blanket outside determinations at client - reason to suspect all historical contracts at same client were in
          Etc
          Etc

They are really stating nothing here just playing with words to commit to nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Whilst its all down to interpretation, the "reason to suspect" refers to fraud and criminal behaviour, not just a general "reason to suspect" they might get some money out of you.

None of your suggested interpretations suggest fraud or criminal behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by daemon View Post
            Whilst its all down to interpretation, the "reason to suspect" refers to fraud and criminal behaviour, not just a general "reason to suspect" they might get some money out of you.

None of your suggested interpretations suggest fraud or criminal behaviour.
            How you do disprove someones suspicion? Because that what you'll have to do if you're investigated and HMRC claim they suspected fraud.

Comment

I personally feel this is a very positive development for contractors. Never before have I heard of HMRC making a categorical statement (as categorical as it can realistically be) ruling something out.
              Last edited by OneManBand; 29 October 2019, 13:26.

Comment

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post
                I personally feel this is a very positive development for contractors. Never before have I heard of HMRC making a categorical statement (as categorical as it can realistically be) ruling something out.
                Your innocence and naivety are refreshing as much as they are dangerous and frustrating.

Just speak to anyone involved in the Loan Charge debacle and you will realise how underhand, devious and downright evil HMRC really are.

Prepare for the worst. There is no alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Your innocence and naivety are refreshing as much as they are dangerous and frustrating.

Just speak to anyone involved in the Loan Charge debacle and you will realise how underhand, devious and downright evil HMRC really are.

agreed

Comment

I shall be going umbrella and shutting my company down to reduce any risk

If I need I will open another/new company if outside gigs start popping up again next year/ I work mostly in financial services, so expect umbrella gigs to be the most common given all the policy decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

The only naivety in the loan charge debacle was anyone thinking they would get away with it.

The conflation of IR35 and Loan Charge is misleading. They are two mutually exclusive concepts and should be treated as such.

Comment

Working...
                      X