• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budget Cancelled

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    Hmmmmm - after a little digging it appears that the private sector off-payroll rules are in the draft legislation planned for the Finance Bill following the 2019 budget, which has now been cancelled. I've had a quick trawl through the 2018 Finance Act and can see sections covering the loan charge rules but nothing talking about off-payroll working, or similar phrases.

The draft legislation was published on 11 July 2019.

So unless I'm missing something (and it certainly wouldn't be the first time!) further enabling legislation is required, which may or may not be passed in time for the new rules to come into force in April 2020.
    Won’t make much difference to the banks who have set in stone their policy decisions not to engage PSCs
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Well, indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by CompoundOverload View Post
        Whilst I have always been a Tory voter, I feel that they are losing support by trying to push IR35 through.
        People who vote Tory don't care about a few (in their eyes) overpaid tax-dodgers. The only ones who care are the ones impacted.

Comment

The civil servants in the Treasury and elsewhere that make up these rules for MPs to sign off, guided by government policy, will still be in place whatever happens with a GE, so unless there's a change in policy then the rules they're looking to bring in will still be on the books.

I'd not put any hope in Labour improving the IR35 situation if they got into power. They talk about worker rights so they may well make things worse by targeting 'gig economy' workers and catching contractors in the same net.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            People who vote Tory don't care about a few (in their eyes) overpaid tax-dodgers. The only ones who care are the ones impacted.
            I won’t be voting conservative in the upcoming election due to this policy. Would anyone impacted by ir35? The change is definitely coming in and no stopping it but none the less I’ll make my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TheInvoicer View Post
              I won’t be voting conservative in the upcoming election due to this policy.
              Me neither. Nor my missus.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                Me neither. Nor my missus.
                Likewise. They've most certainly lost our vote.

No party will change what's happening with IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                  Likewise. They've most certainly lost our vote.

No party will change what's happening with IR35.
                  True. As no party can change it. HMRC are in charge and get what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    True. As no party can change it. HMRC are in charge and get what they want.
                    True. I can't think of any party who would be willing to overturn it. There isn't any party I actually want to give my vote to but I also refuse to not vote, a bit of a dilemma. Such a shame that you can't register a 'none of the above' type vote.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      True. I can't think of any party who would be willing to overturn it. There isn't any party I actually want to give my vote to but I also refuse to not vote, a bit of a dilemma. Such a shame that you can't register a 'none of the above' type vote.
                      Challenging IR35 was at least on the agenda at the Lib Dems Autumn conference: YouTube

The SNP have in the past spoken out against it but I don't know they still hold that position as a party. My own SNP MP certainly does.

Comment

Working...
                      X