• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going inside IR35 mid tax year - can I reassign company share %?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    If the gift is an absolute gift to a spouse (specifically a spouse who qualifies for the spousal exemption, which requires cohabitation and possibly some other conditions) and consists of ordinary shares, I’m struggling a little bit to see the problem, even though it’s clearly in order to reduce tax.

Isn’t this what Arctic Systems was all about?

I am sure lots of people will be mulling over this kind of option so if anyone can clearly state what rules it might fall foul of, it would be most useful.
    Nothing legally to prevent I think, but certainly to qualify for ER you need to have hekheld the shares for 12 months
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

You need to think about this situation from a commercial and non tax perspective.

Broadly anything you do which is solely or mainly for tax purposes (with the objective of achieving a tax reduction that Parliament did not intend) will be subject to any number of TAAR's (targeted anti abuse rules) and in some cases perhaps even GAAR.

There are rules about your disposing of an asset (your shares or right over the shares) which does not go to an exempt person (a spouse). IN general you will be treated in such cases as having disposed at market value and to have perhaps made a gain that may be taxable.

There are also rules about converting income to capital which can be tricky as they catch situations in which the tax benefit is accidental.

So if you are making the transactions just to obtain a tax benefit, be prepared for enquiry and ultimately a tax reversal of any benefit claimed.

Go and talk to an adviser.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
      X