• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS Digital owe £4.3 million for getting IR35 wrong

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHS Digital owe £4.3 million for getting IR35 wrong

"Up to December 2018, we assessed all contractors using the toolkit supplied by HMRC. From January 2019, we are now making an initial assessment internally. Any contractors considered to be outside of scope are then being assessed by an external provider.

Following the implementation of the new rules for IR35 introduced for the public sector in April 2017, we undertook a considered assessment of the status for each individual contractor which we believed met the HMRC requirements. However, HMRC have challenged our assessment. We have been in extensive discussions but now consider it appropriate to acknowledge their position and create an accrual covering the period from 1 April 2017 to 31 December 2018. This accrual is £4.3 million including interest and penalties.

Page 103
    NHS digital annual report and accounts 2018/2019

I suppose it’s just going to fuel the blanket inside assessments, why take the potential hassle of a HMRC claim when they can make it all go away with a single determination
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

NHS Digital just took one for the team I guess.

Awaiting more show executions.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I suppose it’s just going to fuel the blanket inside assessments, why take the potential hassle of a HMRC claim when they can make it all go away with a single determination
        Yep, in this case they've obviously tried to do everything right, but HMRC weren't happy with the assessment.

When it says "we assessed all contractors using the toolkit supplied by HMRC. " I wonder if it means the CEST tool? Might half explain why they're bringing out a new one.

Comment

Did NHS Digital engage contractors directly, or via agency?

If the latter then surely no liability on NHS Digital?
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            In the document it doesn't really say, except for their Chief Commercial Officer. "...is a contractor and the salary is calculated based on the day rate he receives from the recruitment agency"

Comment

So money gets taken from the government (NHS) to go to Government (HMRC) - can anyone see the idiocy in this? Its all for show to scare companies into caving into the IR35 risk

Comment

They come through Hays, unless they are Outcome based through the DOS framework where people can apply direct via Statement of Works
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I can tell you with absolute certainty that NHS digital had to go through captia and any agency engaging with NHS digital had to deal with capita and the framework they had in place, then there is a very convoluted process to go through. Several contractors rejected the contract multiple times and had to have it changed. the CEST tool was then run. Normal IR35 checks carried out and working practises altered to compensate. Some people just accepted the contract they were given at first.. That was a mistake. They also used Mastek to get people in and sometimes contracts were sold to them to administer.
                  Last edited by Sparky25; 30 October 2019, 11:21.

Comment

Did NHS Digital engage contractors directly, or via agency? If the latter then surely no liability on NHS Digital?
                    This is the bit I didn't understand.

But having a read of an article on contractor UK

IR35 liability from April 2020: Who’s liable, for what and when?

It says

"Let’s take the four-party chain in Example A, but this time, if the end client fails to inform the employment agency as to what they have determined about the worker's IR35 status to be, unless and until they pass on that information, the end-client will be responsible for operating PAYE, rather than the agency.

The same applies to longer chains, with liability resting with the entity that fails to pass on the IR35 determination message."

That sounds like if the client gets the IR35 assessment wrong, then they are liable, not the agency ( as it was the end client who passed on the wrong message).

Comment

Working...
                    X