• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS Digital owe £4.3 million for getting IR35 wrong

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder if they are likely to try and claw this back from the contractors themselves, or if HMRC will double dip by going after them all individually.

Comment

Originally posted by smatty View Post
      Wonder if they are likely to try and claw this back from the contractors themselves, or if HMRC will double dip by going after them all individually.
      They can't. The law says the liability is for the fee payer.
      I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        they have already demonstrated the lie that this statement is in the Alcock case, where they tried to stop the CEST evidence being presented in court, without stating why they did not want the evidence submitted. I guess the case has been nobbled though, so any further details will not be forthcoming.
        News hot off the press - Alcock successful in appeal against HMRC. Sounds like the HMRC case was a bit of a fiasco in the end.
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 20:22.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          they have already demonstrated the lie that this statement is in the Alcock case, where they tried to stop the CEST evidence being presented in court, without stating why they did not want the evidence submitted. I guess the case has been nobbled though, so any further details will not be forthcoming.
          From reading the press releases, it doesn't look to me like Alcock completed CEST himself, nor did the client. The CEST "evidence" was that someone who was advising the lawyers had put the contract through CEST and answered the questions and got an outside IR35 determination.
          I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
            From reading the press releases, it doesn't look to me like Alcock completed CEST himself, nor did the client. The CEST "evidence" was that someone who was advising the lawyers had put the contract through CEST and answered the questions and got an outside IR35 determination.
            yes, on further reading this looks like what happened.

Comment

Working...
            X