• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deemed payments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blert596 View Post
    Thanks..you've just increased my anxiety levels no end.

The way this works is I'm given a list of sites to do technical surveys on. I get the sites which are scattered all over Scotland, work out a schedule to attend them, and arrange with other subcontractors to meet on the sites at a certain time. I am usually on site for a max of 2 hours per site A before moving on to site B or C . The amount of sites per day will depend on various things like weather, current workload, travel time, and work required at the individual site. I have approximately 400 sites that are mine to deliver upgrades on.

I normally drive to site from home as going into the clients site is pointless and not required, and sometimes return straight home and write up the work done, or go into the clients office to provide an update and input data. There's no requirement for me to go to the clients office after visiting the sites. Unless something goes wrong I'd rarely revisit a site, and the only work I do on site is related to that specific site.

Depending on the amount of sites that need looking at I may work totally from my home or go into the office depending on how I feel basically.

I honestly don't see how that could be construed as travelling to a fixed place of work.

I dont claim mileage to and from the clients office when I do go in.
    Hi Blert596,

Unfortunately, webberg is absolutely correct. If you're found to be inside-IR35 then expenses are no longer claimable as it's implied that you're also under SDC (supervision, direction and control of the client).

Under the old rules, the main place of work was considered to be your address (or the employer's address if an umbrella worker) and so any other workplace was considered temporary.

Under the new rules, the main or permanent place of work is the site that the work is carried out at (this could include your home), and any temporary workplace is the workplace other than your home or main worksite. But, the rules further go onto say that the first and last journeys (e.g. home to worksite 1, and worksite 10 to home) are discounted for expenses purposes as otherwise people working from home could still claim as they did under the new rules.

If you travel from home to worksite 1, and then from worksite 1 to worksite 2 and then worksite 3 and so on…. etc, the journeys from worksite 1 to the other worksites are claimable. But the journeys from home to worksite 1, and the last worksite back to home aren’t claimable unfortunately. HMRC has brought expenses in line with what we expect for permanent staff.

Thanks

Zeeshan
    Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

It sounds like Blert596, if found inside IR35, needs to change his working practices and always travel to/from his client (employer) site before/after visiting the end-client site(s) (where the work is done).

This is assuming the distance to his employers office is less than the distance to the first end-client, and obviously needs to take into account if it is worth it for the extra travelling time.

There is also the question as to who would know if he didn't travel to/back to the employer site, but of course no-one would suggest not doing that but claiming as if he did.
      Last edited by Paralytic; 8 November 2019, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        It sounds like Blert596, if found inside IR35, needs to change his working practices and always travel to/fromn his client (employer) site before/after visiting the end-client site(s) (where the work is done).

This is assuming the distance to his employers office is less than the distance to the first end-client, and obviously needs to take into account if it is worth it for the extra travelling time.

There is also the question as to who would know if he didn't travel to/back to the employer site, but of course no-one would suggest not doing that but claiming as if he did.
        Hi Paralytic,

Some form of work would have to be undertaken at the client's site, otherwise it's just a sham setup to claim business expenses.

Thanks

Zeeshan
        Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
          Hi Paralytic,

Some form of work would have to be undertaken at the client's site, otherwise it's just a sham setup to claim business expenses.

Thanks

Zeeshan
          And I'm sure no-one would do that Would confirming the client list for the day be regarded as work?
          Last edited by Paralytic; 9 November 2019, 23:36.

Comment

Well that's not what I was hoping to hear to be honest.

And yet the permies claim expenses for their company car trips from home to wherever.

To be honest, this is now a big worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              And I'm sure no-one would do that Would confirming the client list for the day be regarded as work?
              Potentially. Would definitely need to be looked at carefully.

Originally posted by Blert596 View Post
              Well that's not what I was hoping to hear to be honest.

And yet the permies claim expenses for their company car trips from home to wherever.

To be honest, this is now a big worry.
              It could be argued that they're going from a temp workplace to another temp workplace.

Thanks

Zeeshan
              Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
                Potentially. Would definitely need to be looked at carefully.

It could be argued that they're going from a temp workplace to another temp workplace.

Thanks

Zeeshan
                If permies have a company car and company pays for their travel, probably you should have arranged similar benefit once you were caught inside. That or negotiate some kind of travel contribution from your employer. This will still be taxed as income, but would be some extra help to cover your expenses!
                "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Working...
                X