• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC fail again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    At the end of my IR35 case (four years, five contracts, all found outside) all I wanted to do was walk away. I was angry but no longer had the stomach for a fight. It can change you and not necessarily in a good way. You have to think of your health, that of your family and to know when to stop.
    I'm at this point now.

I've had enough of being vilified, picked on, marginalised and made to feel guilty because I don't fit HMRC's narrative of a good "customer". I work my balls off and pay more taxes than any permie in the same level as I might considered at. It's never enough for HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      I'm at this point now.

I've had enough of being vilified, picked on, marginalised and made to feel guilty because I don't fit HMRC's narrative of a good "customer". I work my balls off and pay more taxes than any permie in the same level as I might considered at. It's never enough for HMRC.
      They aren't interested in the money, this is an ideological battle. The free-market economy was cancelled in 2008, they are just stamping out the last embers.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        ...taking HMRC officers to court for lying...
        And they do lie. Make no mistake. They lied in my case and I had them bang to rights. To say I despise them doesn't do it justice. Mostly though I try to let it go as it just eats you up.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          And they do lie. Make no mistake. They lied in my case and I had them bang to rights. To say I despise them doesn't do it justice. Mostly though I try to let it go as it just eats you up.
          I am partially involved in LCJ. Donations can be made HOME | Loancharge .

Comment

So, is it possible to FOI HMRC's legal bill?

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
              HMRC routinely fail to answer FOI requests. You can submit one but they will worm out of giving an answer
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I am partially involved in LCJ. Donations can be made HOME | Loancharge .
                I have contributed to this and am also a member of LCAG. The April 2020 IR35 private sector rollout is simply targeting the next low hanging fruit victims of HMRC. Easy money for them, and really nothing to lose. Was inevitable after the public sector rollout. Just a matter of time. Of course if you are running a genuine business to business company as so many claim that they are on here, you will be just fine and dandy.....

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
                  This might actually be one way to fight back. Different people doing that for all of these cases that they've lost. Shine the light on how much money they've spent pursuing people who've done nothing wrong.

I think if you limit it to the legal bill of a single case they'd have a hard time coming up with a reason not to provide it.

Comment

Experience tells me that an FOI on HMRC to find legal costs in any case or in any set of cases, will be refused.

The reasons we have been given vary but are all about "to tell you that would compromise our ability to operate the tax system and to bring litigation where appropriate".

More privately we are told that HMRC has concerns that they can be out muscled in terms of legal costs by groups or rich individuals.

Both of the above is nonsense.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Snipped
                      Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 20:14.

Comment

Working...
                      X