• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC fail again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that.

If it weren't so depressing, bearing in mind its affinity to our profession, this would be fantastically hilarious.

The article includes, "However, the rush of recent cases demonstrates that HMRC’s perception of non-compliance with the IR35 rules merits further review.”

I wonder if there is any Body in the UK that has the ability to say to the HMRC, 'Hang on, you're looking a bit stupid. Perhaps you need to learn what you created before kicking the can down the road and pushing it on a bunch of end users to understand and implement under threats of heavy fines.'

I also wonder what the legal costs of all these cases come to vs the net gain in taxes? Clearly the HMRC Need to earn more tax income to cover all their unproductive legal costs.

Deary me. I am very disappointed in the HMRC at the moment.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 20:13.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      Thanks for that.

If it weren't so depressing, bearing in mind its affinity to our profession, this would be fantastically hilarious.

The article includes, "However, the rush of recent cases demonstrates that HMRC’s perception of non-compliance with the IR35 rules merits further review.”

I wonder if there is any Body in the UK that has the ability to say to the HMRC, 'Hang on, you're looking a bit stupid. Perhaps you need to learn what you created before kicking the can down the road and pushing it on a bunch of end users to understand and implement under threats of heavy fines.'

I also wonder what the legal costs of all these cases come to vs the net gain in taxes? Clearly the HMRC Need to earn more tax income to cover all their unproductive legal costs.

Deary me. I am very disappointed in the HMRC at the moment.
      I wonder if there is any Body in the UK that has the ability to say to the HMRC, 'Hang on, you're looking a bit stupid.
      even if there were such an effective body, HMRC would just ignore them. It beggars belief that Jesse Norman has been appointed head of the select committee that looks into treasury affairs or some such body.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        even if there were such an effective body, HMRC would just ignore them. It beggars belief that Jesse Norman has been appointed head of the select committee that looks into treasury affairs or some such body.
        Except that he hasn't.

Mel Stride was elected to be Chairman of Treasury Select Committee.

My assumption is that the Committee is one of those now suspended until a new Parliament and perhaps a new committee and a new election.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
          Except that he hasn't.

Mel Stride was elected to be Chairman of Treasury Select Committee.

My assumption is that the Committee is one of those now suspended until a new Parliament and perhaps a new committee and a new election.
          yes, I mixed the two up, not difficult with the ever changing incumbents.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            yes, I mixed the two up, not difficult with the ever changing incumbents.
            I think Treasury Select Committee has had three chairpersons in the last 7 years. Not that difficult to keep track.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              I think Treasury Select Committee has had three chairpersons in the last 7 years. Not that difficult to keep track.
              I meant the changing incumbents in the treasury, not the select committee.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                I think its really rare for costs to be awarded at tribunal...
                HMRC cops it for unsubstantiated fraud claim | AccountingWEB

Comment

Deary me.

If the HMRC persist in losing court cases and losing monies through court fees, no amount of tax hikes and late changing of the law will allow them to catch up, never mind increase their annual take.

"Stop going to court. Your net tax income will increase right there!"

Comment

Working...
                  X