IR35 determination - EY Confirm Tool IR35 determination - EY Confirm Tool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    48

    Default IR35 determination - EY Confirm Tool

    Hi,
    been advised that current ClientCo are using Ernst & Young's IR35 determination tool - "Confirm" for status determinations.
    Questionnaire goes to my main engagement contact initially and then on to myself to complete stage 2.
    Anyone else gone through the same with this tool?

    ta.
    OS

  2. #2

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    437

    Default

    I hear the tool is so-called as it confirms that everyone is Inside IR35.

  3. #3

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    48

    Default

    As expected then. But keen to hear from anyone that has actually gone through the exercise with this specific tool.

  4. #4

    Fingers like lightning

    GhostofTarbera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
    I hear the tool is so-called as it confirms that everyone is Inside IR35.
    Indeed, it also gives the hiring manager 3 alternative replacements from EY


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  5. #5

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
    I hear the tool is so-called as it confirms that everyone is Inside IR35.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Indeed, it also gives the hiring manager 3 alternative replacements from EY

    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Not had any experience of the EY tool but apparently Grant Thornton (5th biggest UK accountancy firm) also has an IR35 tool. They don't have a consulting arm AFAIK so less likely to be a potential conflict of interest unlike the Big 4 of PWC, EY, Deloitte and KMPG.

    Are we now going to end up with 10 or 20 tools on the market and what extra confusion is that going to cause?

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Not had any experience of the EY tool but apparently Grant Thornton (5th biggest UK accountancy firm) also has an IR35 tool. They don't have a consulting arm AFAIK so less likely to be a potential conflict of interest unlike the Big 4 of PWC, EY, Deloitte and KMPG.

    Are we now going to end up with 10 or 20 tools on the market and what extra confusion is that going to cause?
    what extra confusion is that going to cause?
    as much as CEST?

  7. #7

    Contractor Among Contractors

    CheeseSlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melting on your hamburger
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Are we now going to end up with 10 or 20 tools on the market and what extra confusion is that going to cause?
    I think we will see a lot of these tools appearing, though several of them may just be re-branded versions of the same white-label tool (e.g. QDOS) since they need to be designed by specialist tax experts. I'm also seeing more pimps on Linkedin peddling IR35 status tools as part of their service to clients.

    I think the reason for seeing more of these tools is clear.
    Clientco's do not make any money by becoming IR35 experts. This has been pushed onto them and they'll seek out whatever solutions the market offers to outsource this.
    The larger clients may be able to justify internalising some kind of determination process, but the smaller ones just wont have capacity.

  8. #8

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells
    Posts
    1,637

    Default

    I'm a bit surprised by this. It's one thing using such a tool on your own internal contractors. It's another letting other companies use it for theirs.

    Presumably it would then come with hefty caveats? Or will the firm developing the tool be fine with being held responsibility if the decision of their tool ended up being proved wrong and extra taxes/penalties incurred?!

    Sure, you might argue that if they're confident in the tool they'd stand by it, but given the subjectivity in a lot of this, combined with risk of third parties answering questions incorrectly, it would seem a big risk.

  9. #9

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maslins View Post
    Or will the firm developing the tool be fine with being held responsibility if the decision of their tool ended up being proved wrong and extra taxes/penalties incurred?!
    Maybe they'll use the same caveat that HMRC does -- as long as what's entered is accurate. Works for them....

  10. #10

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Not had any experience of the EY tool but apparently Grant Thornton (5th biggest UK accountancy firm) also has an IR35 tool. They don't have a consulting arm AFAIK so less likely to be a potential conflict of interest unlike the Big 4 of PWC, EY, Deloitte and KMPG.
    Actually, yes GT does have consulting work. And they routinely engage contractors to meet the demand!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •