• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"20% of UK businesses would rather axe their contractors than deal with IR35"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unix View Post
    If I ran a large private sector company I would see this as great news, if all my competitors are unable or unwilling to make use of a contractors I would make sure I had the contracts and conditions setup so I could use them outside IR35. Contractors tend to be an order of magnitude more productive than permies for just a slightly higher short term cost.
    I think HMRC would make it their priority to then take you out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
      I think HMRC would make it their priority to then take you out of business.
      What's their record in court again

Comment

If I ran a large private sector company I would see this as great news, if all my competitors are unable or unwilling to make use of a contractors I would make sure I had the contracts and conditions setup so I could use them outside IR35. Contractors tend to be an order of magnitude more productive than permies for just a slightly higher short term cost.
        You'd think / hope that there would be businesses out there taking a practical and pragmatic view.

It's been discussed to death but it's really not difficult to identify the type of resource you need and then engage properly. It's just a bit more time consuming and requires attention to detail. Sadly those are the two things many businesses seem unable or unwilling to invest.

Comment

People who run large private sector companies don't worry about such details - this is taken care of by people much further down the corporate food chain, people who follow the crowd, people who don't want to be the one that risks their job in doing something different that results in potential HMRC tax demands a year or so down the line. People who live in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            You'd think / hope that there would be businesses out there taking a practical and pragmatic view.
            There are. And once one or two big players in a given sector make this jump, the rest will have to follow or accept they're not going to get any of the first (or even second) rate contractors out there.

I don't mean to downplay the problems right now, which are real enough. But in some sectors at least I fully expect we will transition to a "new normal" over the next couple of years, with clients seeking to ensure that, at least for skillsets that are genuinely hard to come by, contract terms and working conditions will clearly place people outside IR35. The first few to do so will get a huge competitive advantage, and then everyone else will have to follow.

Unfortunately, people with fairly generic skillsets may well get left behind. If the commercial imperatives aren't there, things are less likely to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
              There are. And once one or two big players in a given sector make this jump, the rest will have to follow or accept they're not going to get any of the first (or even second) rate contractors out there.

I don't mean to downplay the problems right now, which are real enough. But in some sectors at least I fully expect we will transition to a "new normal" over the next couple of years, with clients seeking to ensure that, at least for skillsets that are genuinely hard to come by, contract terms and working conditions will clearly place people outside IR35. The first few to do so will get a huge competitive advantage, and then everyone else will have to follow.

Unfortunately, people with fairly generic skillsets may well get left behind. If the commercial imperatives aren't there, things are less likely to change.
              these are the bum on seat contractors that large companies have in large numbers.
              I think you're right. It will settle into a 'new normal'. Just need a decent warchest to cover till then (or have contracts that are going to stay outside).
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X