• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 reforms could put contractors at risk of 'second wave' of loan charge bills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 reforms could put contractors at risk of 'second wave' of loan charge bills

Thoughts?

IR35 reforms put IT contractors at risk of 'second wave' of loan charge-like tax bills, experts warn

I suppose anything is possible.

But hopefully the current Loan Charge press coverage would be loud and wide enough for even the most hermit like of contractors to be aware of, and to thus stay away from.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Let's put it this way - I WILL be asking Admin to set up an 'HMRC IR35 Enquiries' sub-forum next year, because I know what contractors are like.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        I suppose anything is possible.

But hopefully the current Loan Charge press coverage would be loud and wide enough for even the most hermit like of contractors to be aware of, and to thus stay away from.
        You would hope, but you never know. It depends if people take a "it'll never happen to me" attitude to life, and also how these things are marketed to people. My concern is, if the loan charge review concludes the policy should be scrapped, will we see a flood of these schemes (or things like them) with promoters claiming HMRC tried to clampdown on them in the passed and failed, so they are safe to use?

Comment

I don't think it'll necessarily lead to a flood of schemes but there will always be someone who thinks up something and manages to successfully sell it to the greedy and the gullible

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
            We can hope. But plenty of contractors thought they were using an umbrella ending up using a loan scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I don't think it'll necessarily lead to a flood of schemes but there will always be someone who thinks up something and manages to successfully sell it to the greedy and the gullible
              Since HMRC do not target the promoters, there is plenty of incentive to create schemes.

And some of them are very convincing liars.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                We can hope. But plenty of contractors thought they were using an umbrella ending up using a loan scheme.
                Quite, just see here: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2694342

And since some contractor's due diligence ends at the Salesman's assurance that it is compliant, they will continue to do so.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

I an going to be that arse and say I have no sympathy with anyone jumping on a "scheme"...

its pretty clear what you can and cannot do and if other don't want to do their due diligence then more fool them.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                    I an going to be that arse and say I have no sympathy with anyone jumping on a "scheme"...

its pretty clear what you can and cannot do and if other don't want to do their due diligence then more fool them.
                    The problem will be when the agent has a list with only 5 umbrellas on it, 3 of whom are schemes and one is their own.

Then the only thing the contractor can do is walk away and let someone more gullible take it.

Comment

Working...
                    X