IR35 reforms could put contractors at risk of 'second wave' of loan charge bills IR35 reforms could put contractors at risk of 'second wave' of loan charge bills
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    22

    Default IR35 reforms could put contractors at risk of 'second wave' of loan charge bills


  2. #2

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    643

    Default

    I suppose anything is possible.

    But hopefully the current Loan Charge press coverage would be loud and wide enough for even the most hermit like of contractors to be aware of, and to thus stay away from.

  3. #3

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Let's put it this way - I WILL be asking Admin to set up an 'HMRC IR35 Enquiries' sub-forum next year, because I know what contractors are like.

  4. #4

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simes View Post
    I suppose anything is possible.

    But hopefully the current Loan Charge press coverage would be loud and wide enough for even the most hermit like of contractors to be aware of, and to thus stay away from.
    You would hope, but you never know. It depends if people take a "it'll never happen to me" attitude to life, and also how these things are marketed to people. My concern is, if the loan charge review concludes the policy should be scrapped, will we see a flood of these schemes (or things like them) with promoters claiming HMRC tried to clampdown on them in the passed and failed, so they are safe to use?

  5. #5

    Super poster

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,192

    Default

    I don't think it'll necessarily lead to a flood of schemes but there will always be someone who thinks up something and manages to successfully sell it to the greedy and the gullible

  6. #6

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simes View Post
    But hopefully the current Loan Charge press coverage would be loud and wide enough for even the most hermit like of contractors to be aware of, and to thus stay away from.
    We can hope. But plenty of contractors thought they were using an umbrella ending up using a loan scheme.

  7. #7

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    I don't think it'll necessarily lead to a flood of schemes but there will always be someone who thinks up something and manages to successfully sell it to the greedy and the gullible
    Since HMRC do not target the promoters, there is plenty of incentive to create schemes.

    And some of them are very convincing liars.

  8. #8

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    We can hope. But plenty of contractors thought they were using an umbrella ending up using a loan scheme.
    Quite, just see here: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2694342

    And since some contractor's due diligence ends at the Salesman's assurance that it is compliant, they will continue to do so.

  9. #9

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    I an going to be that arse and say I have no sympathy with anyone jumping on a "scheme"...

    its pretty clear what you can and cannot do and if other don't want to do their due diligence then more fool them.

  10. #10

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
    I an going to be that arse and say I have no sympathy with anyone jumping on a "scheme"...

    its pretty clear what you can and cannot do and if other don't want to do their due diligence then more fool them.
    The problem will be when the agent has a list with only 5 umbrellas on it, 3 of whom are schemes and one is their own.

    Then the only thing the contractor can do is walk away and let someone more gullible take it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •