• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - the end of a flexible workforce

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    My record if £43000 for 1 year expenses in Amsterdam that’s only because I lost half my receipts

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Possibly for the best!

Comment

From the main page, a lead story alludes to a nuclear waste company and a leading telco being the latest engagers to desist their use of PSCs.

Does anyone know who the telco might be??

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        I worked 150 miles from home and had to stay up in the week. Cost me about £1,000 in expenses. The other contractor I started with lived 150 miles away in the opposite direction, suggesting they couldn't find resource locally. If it went inside IR35 it wouldn't have been worth my while doing it.

Some places are going to have to start paying expenses if they want contractors in under IR35.
        Well someone who works five minutes up the road cannot expense their bus fare so why should you!!!!!!!11111 Pay your taxis (sic) and stop milking it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111123456789

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Ummm you might not agree. I dont agree with this poster either. But is there any need for the name calling?
          I purposefully avoided the personal slant, preferring to call the opinion moronic and clearly misinformed.

For clarification: A two-a-penny contractor is not simply an assertion of low day rate but is also an accusation of the permietractor "business as usual" people that are resulting in widespread removal of limited company contractor roles throughout the private sector. On the upside the aftermath may be that the professionals can keep on going once the dust has settled.

Comment

Responding to OP. Meh. The flexible workforce will always be required, if GB is to remain competitive in any way. What goes around comes around.

And whatever the vehicle - Ltd, Umbrella - contracting will always command a premium, due to market forces.

I take the point though.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Hi

The implication then becomes why bother having permie staff? Just recruit thru umbrellas on fixed term and save on pension, sickness
              A very insightful point, we are moving back to a stage that resembles the one before unionisation of labour where employees had zero rights. Add in the tsunami of automation reducing the need for labour, out of control human population growth and potential climate change and it leads to a very unpleasant picture.

IR35 is a minor side show in the ongoing hollowing out of the middle class.

Personally my plan B is learn as much as I can about horticulture and get some land.

Comment

The gravy train has arrived at it's final destination.
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 22 November 2019, 14:30. Reason: Mod snip & Warning

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                  You conveniently ended the comparison.

Sally can't be bothered getting out of bed this morning so the throws a sicky but still gets paid for it. When she returns, Sally books 2 weeks off paid leave, taking her paid holiday allowance down to 4 weeks plus statutory holidays. But before she takes that paid holiday, she is put on a weeks training course, one of many throughout the year. But even though Sally isn't delivering anything of any value, they just can't get rid of her. There's a downturn in business due to a new store opening up nearby. Customers are going there instead. There is no need for both Sally and Bob. Who do you think's going to be let go first? If they have to let both go, well at least Sally will get a nice payout.
                  Hit the nail on the head ! Seen this scenario many many times played out in my years 25+..

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    From the main page, a lead story alludes to a nuclear waste company and a leading telco being the latest engagers to desist their use of PSCs.

Does anyone know who the telco might be??

Thanks.
                    I would also like to know which telco is being rumoured... obvious candidates seem to be:

BT
                    Vodafone
                    Virgin Mobile
                    O2
                    EE
                    Sky

Anyone else heard about this?

For context:
                    “ ContractorUK is looking into claims that a nuclear waste company and a leading telco are the latest engagers to try to remove themselves from the scope of the draft IR35 legislation by ceasing to engage PSCs altogether.”
                    Source: Contractors’ end-clients handed IR35 reform checklist
                    Last edited by Petrolhead; 22 November 2019, 19:26.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                      Well someone who works five minutes up the road cannot expense their bus fare so why should you!!!!!!!11111 Pay your taxis (sic) and stop milking it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111123456789
                      You entirely miss the point. It is not financially worth me, or presumably anyone else in my circumstances, doing it anymore and they were seemingly incapable of finding someone locally to do it.

Ergo, if they wish to employ contractors they are going to have to consider paying expenses.

Comment

Working...
                      X