• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does John Redwood know.......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does John Redwood know.......

Self employment and IR35

I am all in favour of a different tax regime for people who work for themselves. Such a lifestyle means that an individual depends on winning and completing business to get paid. There is no holiday pay or big company benefits when the customers dry up. The tax authorities need to treat the self employed fairly and understand the nature of their cashflows.

There are a few very well paid people who claim to be self employed but who earn their income from a single source. Here the tax authorities may well be right to challenge them and say they are effectively employees of the source of their income. Why don’t they pay National Insurance under the employer/employee scheme that applies to the rest of us with a single employer?

The wish to do this should not extend to a clampdown on many others who are genuinely self employed but may have won a decent contract which for a bit provides an important part of their income. I am pressing for reform of the IR35 rules to try to prevent it becoming a dampener on enterprise and an attack on the self employed. The PM has promised to review it. TheLib Dems have also promised a review in their Manifesto but are trying to make out they go further.
    Last edited by BoredBloke; 22 November 2019, 15:03.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Self employment and IR35

I am all in favour of a different tax regime for people who work for themselves. Such a lifestyle means that an individual depends on winning and completing business to get paid. There is no holiday pay or big company benefits when the customers dry up. The tax authorities need to treat the self employed fairly and understand the nature of their cashflows.

There are a few very well paid people who claim to be self employed but who earn their income from a single source. Here the tax authorities may well be right to challenge them and say they are effectively employees of the source of their income. Why don’t they pay National Insurance under the employer/employee scheme that applies to the rest of us with a single employer?

The wish to do this should not extend to a clampdown on many others who are genuinely self employed but may have won a decent contract which for a bit provides an important part of their income. I am pressing for reform of the IR35 rules to try to prevent it becoming a dampener on enterprise and an attack on the self employed. The PM has promised to review it. TheLib Dems have also promised a review in their Manifesto but are trying to make out they go further.
    law of averages means he had to say something sensible eventually. Reviews mean nothing though.Treasury and HMRC will still push the line that it's "fair" and that anyone working outside if a tax dodger. Until there is a clear commitment to undo the changes and reign in HMRC nothing has changed.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Redwood has been pivotal in Conservative policy for decades, although excluded during the May regime.

This is probably the best news we've had in a while. While I wouldn't expect a repeal it could mean some softening in the implementation and modifications to the long-term plans which would be less of a blow to real contractors.

Comment

I just wonder if HMRC and HMT have too much power over the government (any government) and they will get their way irrespective of what any party says they will do. I would want there to be proper ministerial oversight of HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I just wonder if HMRC and HMT have too much power over the government (any government) and they will get their way irrespective of what any party says they will do. I would want there to be proper ministerial oversight of HMRC.
          I agree, I think HMRC are the dog, & the Gvmt the tail...dog definitely wagging the tail, & they'll do whatever HMRC want them to do; too much power & out of control as far as I can see.
          HMRC have been doing their job for years, whereas the government are just transient visitors.
          Clarity is everything

Comment

Farage mentioned TBP would protect the 5 million self employed during the tv debate. Thats a lot of votes up for grabs:-

5 million votes: parties must listen to the self-employed at this election | IPSE

Comment

Working...
            X