Labour pledge to halt IR35 Labour pledge to halt IR35 - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 56
  1. #11

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazaire99 View Post
    In general terms, unless you earn very little you are better off if the Tories win and keep IR35 than if Corbyn becomes PM and abolishes it.

    Labour also have other proposals such as abolishing entrepreneurs relief (so do the Tories), but Labour will align CGT with your marginal rate. So 20% CGT with Tories vs 20/45/67.5/50% for Labour.

    The Labour announcement is a sick con trick.
    The way i see it IR35 is a straight kick in the balls 25% pay cut for me and every other contractor that I have spoken to. Every bank is going to declare their contractors as inside ir35 which impacts me.
    The state of our nhs has gone down the toilet under the Tories and even after 9 years they continue to blame Labour
    What happens once we have a hard brexit courtesy the Tories? Even our ability to work in EU is reduced which I cannot accept.

    I accept that Labour has its own set of issues but this lot of Tories are sheer poison.
    Last edited by ContractorOnAMotorbike; 27th November 2019 at 11:29.

  2. #12

    Super poster

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazaire99 View Post
    In general terms, unless you earn very little you are better off if the Tories win and keep IR35 than if Corbyn becomes PM and abolishes it.

    Labour also have other proposals such as abolishing entrepreneurs relief (so do the Tories), but Labour will align CGT with your marginal rate. So 20% CGT with Tories vs 20/45/67.5/50% for Labour.

    The Labour announcement is a sick con trick.
    So you would prefer all contractors to be forced into IR35 and removing our ways of working, over a relatively small number of contractors that might be affected by ER or CGT?

  3. #13

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    So you would prefer all contractors to be forced into IR35 and removing our ways of working, over a relatively small number of contractors that might be affected by ER or CGT?
    I don’t think you quite get it. Labour’s plans to increase dividend tax, without taking account of the fact that dividends are paid net of CT already, results in a WORSE outcome than just putting everyone into IR35.

    (Not that the current IR35 changes would put everyone into IR35 anyway, but hey.)

  4. #14

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    So you would prefer all contractors to be forced into IR35 and removing our ways of working, over a relatively small number of contractors that might be affected by ER or CGT?
    That isn't what I said. I said that Labours tax plans are a con because it doesn't make you any better off.

  5. #15

    Super poster

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazaire99 View Post
    That isn't what I said. I said that Labours tax plans are a con because it doesn't make you any better off.
    Their plans aren’t meant to make me better off.

    They’re meant to make the people that frequent the food bank opposite my house better off.

    HTH.

  6. #16

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Their plans aren’t meant to make me better off.

    They’re meant to make the people that frequent the food bank opposite my house better off.

    HTH.
    If you believe that vote Labour - it's a free country. Just don't expect to be able to vote them out when the economy goes down the toilet.

  7. #17

    Super poster

    Unix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    This is just the next step from Capitalism to Communism, it was fore told by Karl.

  8. #18

    Super poster

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazaire99 View Post
    If you believe that vote Labour - it's a free country. Just don't expect to be able to vote them out when the economy goes down the toilet.
    Let me know when the “trickle-down” from Tory policies of the past decade start.

  9. #19

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Let me know when the “trickle-down” from Tory policies of the past decade start.
    I could spend a week explaining why Labour's policies aren't going to work but no amount of evidence gained from 100 years of the failure of socialist economics is likely to persuade you. I visited an Eastern Bloc country in the 1970's and the misery, poverty and degradation I witnessed was enough to put me off for life. Not to mention the experience of living in the UK in the 1970's. Anyway, we are going off thread.

  10. #20

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazaire99 View Post
    In general terms, unless you earn very little you are better off if the Tories win and keep IR35 than if Corbyn becomes PM and abolishes it.

    Labour also have other proposals such as abolishing entrepreneurs relief (so do the Tories), but Labour will align CGT with your marginal rate. So 20% CGT with Tories vs 20/45/67.5/50% for Labour.

    The Labour announcement is a sick con trick.
    you are better off if the Tories win and keep IR35 than if Corbyn becomes PM and abolishes it.
    agreed, but it might put pressure on Boris to at least postpone the proposals and perhaps announce an independent review. Utopia I know, but there's always a chance!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •