• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour pledge to halt IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour pledge to halt IR35

Labour pledges to halt IR35 in private sector at IPSE event | PoliticsHome.com

Sadly they also plan on taxing us all to death by other means, including raising the rate of dividend tax. :-(

'crossed in the post' with news on this site Labour in surprise pledge to scrap IR35 reform from April 2020

But the latter article talks about scrapping it, not halting it.

Discuss.
    Last edited by oliverson; 27 November 2019, 10:10.

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Labour pledges to halt IR35 in private sector at IPSE event | PoliticsHome.com

Sadly they also plan on taxing us all to death by other means, including raising the rate of dividend tax. :-(

'crossed in the post' with news on this site Labour in surprise pledge to scrap IR35 reform from April 2020

But the latter article talks about scrapping it, not halting it.

Discuss.
    Feeling the heat on the doorsteps I imagine
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Setting dividend tax to marginal income tax rate, ignoring the fact that CT has already been paid, makes IR35 irrelevant anyway.

Comment

It’s like someone promising not to punch you in the stomach but only if you let them kick you in the balls instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
          It’s like someone promising not to punch you in the stomach but only if you let them kick you in the balls instead.
          True but it should get the Tories showing their hand.

Comment

See https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2702365, for some calculations of divi vs PAYE tax rates under Labour.

Once Labours dividend tax increases are in play IR35 becomes irrelevant because unless your earnings are very low it makes more sense to pay yourself under PAYE rather than dividends.

I suppose a few gullible people will fall for it... Labour really are desperate.

Comment

Unless the Tories pledge to delay or cancel IR35 they won't get my vote. I still don't get how people in this forum can vote for them after they have effectively stabbed us in the face while pretending to be the party of small business. Utter bulltulip!

And yes I know Labour will increase taxes etc etc.

Comment

I imagine IPSE and co are now going to put pressure on the government to do likewise. There’s a lot of freelancers with vital votes they need.

Dreaming of course

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
                  As I saw the title of the thread, and had by then already read the headline article on the front page, I was trying to think of a suitable one-line and pithy summary.

And then I saw yours and figured the job was done.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorOnAMotorbike View Post
                    Unless the Tories pledge to delay or cancel IR35 they won't get my vote. I still don't get how people in this forum can vote for them after they have effectively stabbed us in the face while pretending to be the party of small business. Utter bulltulip!

And yes I know Labour will increase taxes etc etc.
                    In general terms, unless you earn very little you are better off if the Tories win and keep IR35 than if Corbyn becomes PM and abolishes it.

Labour also have other proposals such as abolishing entrepreneurs relief (so do the Tories), but Labour will align CGT with your marginal rate. So 20% CGT with Tories vs 20/45/67.5/50% for Labour.

The Labour announcement is a sick con trick.

Comment

Working...
                    X