• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JP Morgan show their hand

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    what I mean is are they being offered PAYE salaries at the same level or higher than their contracting rates?
    You already know the answer to this.

For the vast majority, financials pulling contractors into Umbrellas will offer rates that equate to a little or reasonable level higher than perm. If you shop around for perm at financials you'll get near or match it, then with permie perks you'll surpass it.

Unless the rates increase contractors will be taking umbrella based contracts at financials on the understanding that they WILL be offered a permie job at the end of it.

This applies for permie-tractors who are savy enough to read the wall writing, as well as genuine contractors who although love the non financial benefits of contracting, ultimately, don't want to be taken for a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      Which means permies will soon ask for pay upgrade to bring it to ex contractors level, because why shouldn't they?

Nothing good is going to come from this.
      That comes later - in a lot of firms its just a matter of finding a person doing a vaguely similar role who hits enough of the equal opportunity requirements.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
        You already know the answer to this.

For the vast majority, financials pulling contractors into Umbrellas will offer rates that equate to a little or reasonable level higher than perm. If you shop around for perm at financials you'll get near or match it, then with permie perks you'll surpass it.

Unless the rates increase contractors will be taking umbrella based contracts at financials on the understanding that they WILL be offered a permie job at the end of it.

This applies for permie-tractors who are savy enough to read the wall writing, as well as genuine contractors who although love the non financial benefits of contracting, ultimately, don't want to be taken for a ride.
        You already know the answer to this
        partially perhaps. However, although I know the permie pay scales of my end client, I don't know the same for the software house. Clearly there is an issue of who will be responsible for the SDS, assuming this will be done, but what I find interesting is that the nearest client role that I can equate to pays a minimum salary higher than I receive as a contractor. Granted, I'm effectively paid part time, but the arithmetic is by no means clear at the moment. I'll just have to wait and see what's offered and decide my course of action then.
        Last edited by JohntheBike; 2 December 2019, 16:44.

Comment

partially perhaps. However, although I know the permie pay scales of my end client, I don't know the same for the software house. Clearly there is an issue of who will be responsible for the SDS, assuming this will be done, but what I find interesting is that the nearest client role that I can equate to pays a minimum salary higher than I receive as a contractor. Granted, I'm effectively paid part time, but the arithmetic is by no means clear at the moment. I'll just have to wait and see what's offered and decide my course of action then.
          Might be worth hanging on in there and riding the storm out - better to be in a less than perfect role all year than waiting ten months for a perfect one.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Might be worth hanging on in there and riding the storm out - better to be in a less than perfect role all year than waiting ten months for a perfect one.
            yes, and given that a senior manager of the end client has declared that I must stay until all the applications that I support are finally decommissioned, then clearly I will have some work horizon. I've posted before that because of my personal circumstances, I wouldn't be as seriously affected by going PAYE as most would. The software house that MyCo is contracted to is engaging with QDOS over the issues and I guess I'll hear soon what the proposals are.

Comment

yes, and given that a senior manager of the end client has declared that I must stay until all the applications that I support are finally decommissioned, then clearly I will have some work horizon. I've posted before that because of my personal circumstances, I wouldn't be as seriously affected by going PAYE as most would. The software house that MyCo is contracted to is engaging with QDOS over the issues and I guess I'll hear soon what the proposals are.
              You're inside IR35 - his statement makes you part and parcel. However, an increase in day rate as compensation would seem fair.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                You're inside IR35 - his statement makes you part and parcel. However, an increase in day rate as compensation would seem fair.
                Abbey Tax's assessment of the working practices disagrees. Their assessment is that the contract is outside of IR35.

However, what is interesting is that all the communications are coming from the software house and not the end client. I guess this may be incorrect.

Comment

Working...
                X