• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour Commit to scrapping April 2020 roll out of IR35 reforms to the private sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iainb View Post
    It's not just about tax percentages though...

I've already seen a large increase in FTC's being advertised at pretty bog standard permie rates which it's not financially viable for me to do. Then there's the contracts that are deemed inside IR35 where by I can't put these through my accounts for my accountant to work his magic on, I'm still incurring all of the costs of being a contractor but would have to show a loss in my accounts every year, eventually leading to bankruptcy.

The legislation is not even in force yet and I already see that the job market is now split 3 ways Inside/Outside/FTC... I can only see the current setup of reforms leading to Outside being heavily squeezed.

Looks like Comrade Corbyn is not scrapping it now anyways... so I can revert to "Getting Brexit Done"
    Contract/FTC rates are low because the market is bad. I've taken an FTC for the time being - perhaps the market in six months will be better? Anyway, why would working permie or on an FTC force you into bankruptcy? The vast majority of the population manage.

I think that even if Corbyn abolished IR35 there would be so many knock on impacts of his policies elsewhere that you would be worse off. Not to mention him being an unreformed Marxist, anti-semite and proven terrorist supporter. Perhaps some things are worth more than the (very doubtful) prospect of a few extra quid in your pocket?

Comment

What!? Some people think a couple of old commies, will repeal some legislation enacted by what they call 'tories with red ties' designed to maximise the tax take from so called dodgers?

Really? No wonder corbyn and his acolytes are turning the polls with their freebie this, freebie that, freebie the other while soaking the top 5% wealth creators!
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

What a shocking surprise.

Perhaps they'll be moderated slightly if they need the Lib Dems. The SNP is pretty much as Marxist as Labour. They already have higher taxes than the rest of the UK, they only reason it hasn't gone higher still is because they are afraid that all their biggest taxpayers will move south across the border. If Corbyn comes in and hikes taxes then they can do the same, and will.

They aren't bothered about the antisemitism in Labour because they've been tolerating it behind the scenes in the SNP, too. Both parties have catered to the hard left and the hard left is rife with it.

Comment

If you go by the transcript, it's just weasel words and no actual commitment

Rachel Burden (Radio 5 Live): “So, just for absolutely clarity, under a Labour Government, this would not apply in the private sector from April 2020.”

Rebecca Long-Bailey (Labour): “Well, certainly we don't think it will, no, but we need to have a system in place that is fair.”
          They don't think it will apply on April 2020. Didn't say that it will not apply

I liked what Adam Price had to say in last weeks BBCQT about lying politicians. He wants to make it a criminal offence for them to lie to the public. Of course these turkeys will never vote for x-mas, but one could hope.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            make it a criminal offence for them to lie to the public
            That won't necessarily work, though. Please excuse the random tangent, but...

There is a fantasy book series I read called the Wheel of Time. In it, there are "magic" wielders called Aes Sedai. In order to make themselves more trusted in the world they take magically-binding oaths, one of which is to "speak no word which is untrue".

All that happened was that they became very good at phrasing things such that it appeared they were saying something, when they were not. This led to the phrase "the truth an Aes Sedai tells is not always the truth you thought you heard".

Back to the point: This is all such a law would do. Politicians are already difficult to pin down on things. They would just learn to phrase things in such a way that they were not lying, but they were also not telling the truth, and this would make everyone's life even more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by drmouse View Post
              That won't necessarily work, though. Please excuse the random tangent, but...

There is a fantasy book series I read called the Wheel of Time. In it, there are "magic" wielders called Aes Sedai. In order to make themselves more trusted in the world they take magically-binding oaths, one of which is to "speak no word which is untrue".

All that happened was that they became very good at phrasing things such that it appeared they were saying something, when they were not. This led to the phrase "the truth an Aes Sedai tells is not always the truth you thought you heard".

Back to the point: This is all such a law would do. Politicians are already difficult to pin down on things. They would just learn to phrase things in such a way that they were not lying, but they were also not telling the truth, and this would make everyone's life even more difficult.
              They would just learn to phrase things in such a way that they were not lying, but they were also not telling the truth,
              they already do! so nothing to learn!

Comment

Working...
              X