• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour Commit to scrapping April 2020 roll out of IR35 reforms to the private sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour Commit to scrapping April 2020 roll out of IR35 reforms to the private sector

Dave Chaplin on LinkedIn: BREAKING NEWS: Labour Commit to scrapping April 2020 roll out of IR35 | 87 comments
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Great, but they will tax dividends like income tax so it's a moot offer.

Comment

Wouldn't that still allow us to whack a lot of cash into the pension from the limited and reduce corp tax though? Still an advantage there.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
        Great, but they will tax dividends like income tax so it's a moot offer.
        Yes...I'm on the fence whether it's a good thing overall (certainly part of me is inclined to think it is, even if it's accompanied by a big tax hike on dividends), but it does seem they'd be getting rid of IR35 because it would become irrelevant. Not necessarily a "win" for contractors, at least if tax minimisation is a primary concern.

Comment

I don't see in that where they commit to scrapping, or even delaying, it. Looks like more weasel words to me (anyone who has read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, it sounds like what an Aes Sedai would say).

As for "they will tax dividends as income", I don't mind that. I don't mind paying more tax, in general. As I've said in various places, what I object to is being portrayed as a tax dodger, which even the existence of IR35 regs does for all contractors. I also object to the potential destruction of the contractor industry and the death of a way of working which suits me so well.

Comment

Javid will have to respond hopefully.
            Last edited by Contractor UK; 15 December 2019, 15:51.

Comment

I'm still not convinced that there is an actual commitment there. It all looks too vague...

Comment

Bearing in mind they entitle the article 'Scraping IR35', I think that says it all.

As for any commitment to scrapPing, she only says, 'Certainly we don't think it will, no' which then goes on to the need for finding a fair system for all. Hmm.

In another thread discussing the same, someone likens it to being asked if you want to be kicked in the head or in the plums (or some such). I think we're still there.
                Last edited by simes; 6 December 2019, 15:20.

Comment

Originally posted by drmouse View Post
                  I don't see in that where they commit to scrapping, or even delaying, it. Looks like more weasel words to me (anyone who has read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, it sounds like what an Aes Sedai would say).

As for "they will tax dividends as income", I don't mind that. I don't mind paying more tax, in general. As I've said in various places, what I object to is being portrayed as a tax dodger, which even the existence of IR35 regs does for all contractors. I also object to the potential destruction of the contractor industry and the death of a way of working which suits me so well.
                  You will when you find them taxed at PAYE rates AFTER already paying Corp Tax.

Comment

All change

Dave Chaplin on LinkedIn: OFF-PAYROLL - LABOUR POLICY LEAK: They appear to now support the Off-Payroll | 21 comments

Comment

Working...
                    X