• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A question of timing - short term contractor needs when / if to leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    if I were the OP, I'd be calculating what the potential backdated PAYE would be if HMRC came calling for the first 5 months of the contract (1)

And then work out what the 6th month will bring in (assuming it is inside IR35). (2)

If (1) is greater than (2), hand in notice so as to stop working at the end of February, with the last invoice being settled at the end of March. This will reduce the risk of/if HMRC come calling.

But if (2) is greater than (1), and you can't find another contract, it might actually be worthwhile sticking around and setting some funds aside just in case HMRC do come calling. You'd need to keep it there for a number of years though.
    I am in a similar conundrum whereby I started a new engagement for a new client for six months (Oct - Apr) with a view to extending further. Got the role via an agent and had the contract / deliverables etc reviewed by a 3rd part tax adviser, who agreed this is outside. Agent and I agreed I would proceed as if the engagement was outside until we know what the client wants to do re the determination post April- still up in the air with regards to this.

I am still unawares and I'm getting nervous. I'll follow up with the agent in the new year. However I have a contingency plan where I will hand notice in (two weeks) on the 19th February so last day is 4th March and final payment (30 days after invoice raised) is paid on the 3rd April, thus paid before 5th April and not caught by the new rules.

Then re-assess the market again post April. Ball ache I know but I'd rather err on the side of caution than take a major risk.

Comment

any comments on the above whether this is wise / good approach?

Comment

Originally posted by hammertime1985 View Post
        any comments on the above whether this is wise / good approach?
        IR35 is not new it’s been about since 1999 only change is client makes determination

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

You really have chosen the worst time to start contracting.

Comment

Testing
            Last edited by redman123; 3 November 2021, 10:37.

Comment

Originally posted by redman123 View Post
              would this be more of an issue for OP as he is working for said 'pharma' company or does the above rules apply to every contractor?
              Every contractor in that situation.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Also consider the fact that some (most?) clients pick the easy way out and simply won't engage with PSCs past April 2020, so it's not even about inside / outside, it's more of an "all contractors out" approach.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                  Also consider the fact that some (most?) clients pick the easy way out and simply won't engage with PSCs past April 2020, so it's not even about inside / outside, it's more of an "all contractors out" approach.
                  It does but the option of wanting flexible workforce will not go away.

It will take the market a bit of time to balance out but these roles (originally done by PSC contractors) will be available by another means (PAYE, Umbrella, FTC). I understand that these will not be so lucrative as operating via LTD company were but they'll eventually be there or thereabouts.

Chase the pay not the way of getting paid.

Comment

Working...
                  X