• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky's current thrust

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    What part of "more than tax at stake" are you not following? Are they insuring for compliance failures? No. Are they insuring for backdated pension contributions and employment benefits? No.

No large corporate is going to rely on some half-baked IR35 insurance that covers a fraction of a liability that they don't even understand. Kill the risk. What they're doing makes perfect sense to me. It doesn't to you, but I don't see why that matters...
    Ok, glad you've got it nailed.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      Anyway, it was all null and void once the UK president stepped in and said he wanted 0% risk and told everyone to go through an umbrella company.
      Thanks for update. Regardless if there was client IR35 insurance in place or not, if HMRC had launched an investigation into Samsung UK he would have been fired by HQ. So I don't blame him for that.

In a sense that's probably the theme for a lot of multi-nationals with UK offices. Someone in that UK office, has to be responsible for making the call.
      • Zero risk approach = blanket inside, reduced talent pool to recruit from ( depending on rates ). However no one will lose their job for making this call.

• Allow outside IR35 with insurance = very little risk, but working practices not as flexible and potentially a big headache if HMRC come knocking and it ends up with a prolonged court case / appeals.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
        Thanks for update. Regardless if there was client IR35 insurance in place or not, if HMRC had launched an investigation into Samsung UK he would have been fired by HQ. So I don't blame him for that.

In a sense that's probably the theme for a lot of multi-nationals with UK offices. Someone in that UK office, has to be responsible for making the call.
        • Zero risk approach = blanket inside, reduced talent pool to recruit from ( depending on rates ). However no one will lose their job for making this call.
        • Allow outside IR35 with insurance = very little risk, but working practices not as flexible and potentially a big headache if HMRC come knocking and it ends up with a prolonged court case / appeals.
        You're welcome.

Well I guess right now, anything is possible. There have been no cases upon which to build knowledge or experience. I might figure being fired if I did not have insurance in place. But not if all angles were covered. Anyway, brave new world, yet to be fleshed out.

As for the rest of the supposition, am really only the newsreader here. Will continue to post developments but I fear this has stopped in its tracks.

Comment

Continuing the mashed thread of both Sky's and Samsung's faltering thrusts in the world of first understanding IR35 and secondly to implement the correct structure, a second friend within Samsung had this to impart about the company's wider knowledge.

Said friend is an Operations Manager. Like him, his entire team of five or six are contractors. In a 60 person strong meeting in a boardroom to reflect on past successes and future trials, at the end of the meeting, 'friend' was asked to come up to the front to accept...

<drum roll>

...an Employee of the Month award.

While taking the applause and reviewing the tacky bit of plastic - which he has to return at the end of the month for next month's recipient - he noted that no one seemed to object that he Wasn't an employee and that the person who identified 'friend' also had no idea of the implications. Even at this time of the supposedly heightened awareness.

Laughing about this over a drink last night, we realised that we (both 'us' and the wider contracting community) are utterly screwed.

Comment

Continuing the mashed thread of both Sky's and Samsung's faltering thrusts in the world of first understanding IR35 and secondly to implement the correct structure, a second friend within Samsung had this to impart about the company's wider knowledge.

Said friend is an Operations Manager. Like him, his entire team of five or six are contractors. In a 60 person strong meeting in a boardroom to reflect on past successes and future trials, at the end of the meeting, 'friend' was asked to come up to the front to accept...

<drum roll>

...an Employee of the Month award.

While taking the applause and reviewing the tacky bit of plastic - which he has to return at the end of the month for next month's recipient - he noted that no one seemed to object that he Wasn't an employee and that the person who identified 'friend' also had no idea of the implications. Even at this time of the supposedly heightened awareness.

Laughing about this over a drink last night, we realised that we (both 'us' and the wider contracting community) are utterly screwed.
            Is there a question or do you want a Cool Story Bro badge?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              It's a anecdote on why contractors are screwed and why companies going for blanket bans are doing the sanest option.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Of the 50+ posts in this thread, about 10% have questions.

(Rhetorical) Question: ('cos I really couldn't care any less) What's your point?

Comment

Of the 50+ posts in this thread, about 10% have questions.

(Rhetorical) Question: ('cos I really couldn't care any less) What's your point?
                  My point is, what's yours?

Sky do enough to differentiate contractors usually (or used to at Osterley; that may have changed). I'd have politely declined it, pointing out that I'm a contractor not an employee; thanks for the recognition. If you behave like an employee and accept it, it's like accepting any other employee benefit.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

My point is, what's yours?

Sky do enough to differentiate contractors usually (or used to at Osterley; that may have changed). I'd have politely declined it, pointing out that I'm a contractor not an employee; thanks for the recognition. If you behave like an employee and accept it, it's like accepting any other employee benefit.
                    Yeah, all you've done there is to prove you've not read and understood.

My story was in relation to Samsung. You might need to understand That before you strive to understand points. Will leave with you for now...
                    Last edited by simes; 25 February 2020, 12:23.

Comment

Yeah, all you've done there is to prove you've not read and understood.

My story was in relation to Samsung. You might need to understand That before you strive to understand points. Will leave with you for now...
                      Well done on making a complete plum of yourself. You lumped Samsung in with Sky in the first place. If they're different, don't lump them together. I've not worked at Samsung, but your implication was that they are virtually the same in their treatment of contractors.

Comment

Working...
                      X