• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how would an end user be in the clear if paying an umbrella gross ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how would an end user be in the clear if paying an umbrella gross ?

Apologies, I'm coming to this late and the numerous threads and stickys are not easy reading.

My end user has just gone with a blanket everyone is within IR35 from April 1st and they will be will be quote 'deducting from their day rate, employer/employee Tax and NI as advised'. I haven't seen the official letter yet but that appears to me as though you will effectively become an employee of the end user. I am happy to declare within IR35 and use pension contributions to limit my NI payments but to do that I need to get the end user to pay an umbrella my gross rate before any deductions.

How does the End User know how an umbrella ( or Ltd, or agency ) is treating the gross payments they make without looking into each individual case ? In other words they wouldn't off the hook for potential NI payments unless they deduct them themselves.

They won’t let you use your pension to offset

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

The fee payer is responsible for deducting the tax and nic so the end client won't care.

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
        The fee payer is responsible for deducting the tax and nic so the end client won't care.
        By pushing anyone into an umbrella situation or PAYE, any client would be cleverly avoiding the issues associated with making an assessment. Policy changes are not subject to the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
          So if you have chain of End Client > Agency > Umbrella > Me, is the Fee Payer the Umbrella Co ?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
            So if you have chain of End Client > Agency > Umbrella > Me, is the Fee Payer the Umbrella Co ?
            Reading this the Fee Payer is the End Client.

Fee Payers - what are they in Terms of IR35, HMRC and Contractors / Freelancers

Comment

Hi

I think people are confusing the different types of supply, and how IR35 affects them.

If you are working through your limited company, the fee payer is the party that is closest to you, and essentially pays your company. This could be the end client if you're direct, or an agency if one is in the chain.

In an umbrella PAYE arrangement, any IR35 considerations are practically irrelevant as you're an employee. There is no fee payer, as the client/agency will pay the umbrella gross, and you will be paid subject to PAYE.

As for OP's question, that's why end clients will use Preferred Supplier Lists (PSLs) so they know they are working with trusted companies that will pay in accordance with the PAYE rules and not just run away with contractors monies.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
              Last edited by DolanContractorGroup; 16 December 2019, 14:23.
              Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Working...
              X