• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE and alternatives ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    what I mean is that I would expect that they would review your current and past situation and offer insurance if they thought you were outside of IR35. If examination of your history indicated that you were caught, then I guess they would not offer insurance going forward.
    That wouldn't be fair on people that have paid insurances throughout their career. Work for 4 years and pay one year and your covered? I'd be up in arms if I knew they were doing that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      That wouldn't be fair on people that have paid insurances throughout their career. Work for 4 years and pay one year and your covered? I'd be up in arms if I knew they were doing that.
      I'm still not sure that I'm making myself plain. Let's say someone has never paid for tax investigation insurance either through membership of an organisation or directly themselves. Given the current situation they now wish to take out tax investigation insurance.

I would say that when an insurance application is made, I would hope that Markel and Qdos would assess the contractor's current and probably past situation before agreeing to cover going forward. If they just took the money and relied on their exclusion clauses, would that be tantamount to accepting payment fraudulently? I don't know.

I had tax investigation insurance through IPSE, but when I didn't renew my membership and approached Markel tax directly, they did insure me. However, I had already paid Abbey Tax for a professional assessment of my contract which they judged was outside. Given the current situation which suggests that some might be subject to historic investigations, I clarified my position if I accepted an "inside" contract. They advised that my historic cover would not be compromised.

If you apply for car insurance, several questions are asked before a premium is determined. If you have answered all the questions truthfully, then you are covered. Even if there is an accident which is your fault, you are still covered. I can see tax investigation insurance moving in the same way. A series of questions will be asked and cover will be offered if the company is prepared to take the risk. I was not asked any questions when I insured recently. However, the exclusions specifically state that cover will only be functional if there is a good prospect of winning against HMRC. Clearly anyone whose contract was really inside IR35 would fall foul of this provision.

I guess the confusion exists because tax investigations are by their nature retrospective. So if I take out tax investigation insurance today, this will cover me for a tax investigation which will look at previous years, even though I would not have had cover in those years.
      Last edited by JohntheBike; 19 December 2019, 13:44.

Comment

I'm still not sure that I'm making myself plain. Let's say someone has never paid for tax investigation insurance either through membership of an organisation or directly themselves. Given the current situation they now wish to take out tax investigation insurance.

I would say that when an insurance application is made, I would hope that Markel and Qdos would assess the contractor's current and probably past situation before agreeing to cover going forward. If they just took the money and relied on their exclusion clauses, would that be tantamount to accepting payment fraudulently? I don't know.

I had tax investigation insurance through IPSE, but when I didn't renew my membership and approached Markel tax directly, they did insure me. However, I had already paid Abbey Tax for a professional assessment of my contract which they judged was outside. Given the current situation which suggests that some might be subject to historic investigations, I clarified my position if I accepted an "inside" contract. They advised that my historic cover would not be compromised.

If you apply for car insurance, several questions are asked before a premium is determined. If you have answered all the questions truthfully, then you are covered. Even if there is an accident which is your fault, you are still covered. I can see tax investigation insurance moving in the same way. A series of questions will be asked and cover will be offered if the company is prepared to take the risk. I was not asked any questions when I insured recently. However, the exclusions specifically state that cover will only be functional if there is a good prospect of winning against HMRC. Clearly anyone whose contract was really inside IR35 would fall foul of this provision.

I guess the confusion exists because tax investigations are by their nature retrospective. So if I take out tax investigation insurance today, this will cover me for a tax investigation which will look at previous years, even though I would not have had cover in those years.
        Which is why you shouldn't disregard IPSE membership, regardless of how you consider the associated baggage. The cover is basically for any tax investigation (not just IR35) instigated while you are a member. When the contract in question was in force is not a parameter.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. The sort of thing I was after. I have strong doubts I'd get any sort of retrospective insurance and I'm erring towards taking out IPSE membership, even if it's just as a shoulder to cry on if it goes pear shaped. My strategy has always been to cough up if I got nabbed but will put up a fight with suitable guidance. The contract lasted longer than planned. I got some good non IR35 related guidance from the PCG previously but my membership lapsed after a permie stint. I've toughed it out through all the previous IR35 palavas but this one feels a little different. Time to hang up my keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
            Thanks for the advice. The sort of thing I was after. I have strong doubts I'd get any sort of retrospective insurance and I'm erring towards taking out IPSE membership, even if it's just as a shoulder to cry on if it goes pear shaped. My strategy has always been to cough up if I got nabbed but will put up a fight with suitable guidance. The contract lasted longer than planned. I got some good non IR35 related guidance from the PCG previously but my membership lapsed after a permie stint. I've toughed it out through all the previous IR35 palavas but this one feels a little different. Time to hang up my keyboard
            Their forums are a hotbed of discussion and jolly japes ...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Can someone point this out to mb31.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                That's hardly a criterion, given where we are now. And the forums are a bit of a wasteland these days because many of the original IR35 targets have moved on.

The PEI cover is still as good as anyone's, and usually cheaper
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Which is why you shouldn't disregard IPSE membership, regardless of how you consider the associated baggage. The cover is basically for any tax investigation (not just IR35) instigated while you are a member. When the contract in question was in force is not a parameter.
                  Which is why you shouldn't disregard IPSE membership
                  they made it abundantly plain that they didn't want me as a member, so I obliged and didn't renew this year.

Comment

they made it abundantly plain that they didn't want me as a member, so I obliged and didn't renew this year.
                    How did they manage to do that?

Asking for a CUK Mod
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      How did they manage to do that?

Asking for a CUK Mod
                      I posted a comment which was a variation on the chiefs and indians adage, and I was banned for 6 months for making a racist post. Officials of IPSE advised that during their assessment of the post, they had considered terminating my membership completely.

Comment

Working...
                      X