• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE and alternatives ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPSE and alternatives ?

I am about to close my Ltd as my current contract ends. Self declared OUTSIDE IR35 and roughly £30K of NI liability if I ever got investigated. I will probably take up a renewal and work through an umbrella from 1st Jan, just debating if I'm better to just make a clean break for it and D Day on that decision is this week. I am wondering if it's worth taking up IPSE Membership ( not been a member since PCG days ) ( or is there a better alternative ? ) just in case I ever get investigated for the £30K plus penalties. I am not expecting miracles in the case of an investigation but it's just to make sure I don't do anything stupid if the IR come knocking.

You don't need IPSE membership if you're going umbrella.

If you can keep the expected liability in a high interest earning account until the company is confirmed closed (i.e. HMRC have approved the shut down) then once the company no longer exists, there is no-one for HMRC to chase after.

IANAL, IANAA

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      You don't need IPSE membership if you're going umbrella.

If you can keep the expected liability in a high interest earning account until the company is confirmed closed (i.e. HMRC have approved the shut down) then once the company no longer exists, there is no-one for HMRC to chase after.

IANAL, IANAA
      That has been the strategy all along but I'm losing my nerve at the death and seeking a comfort blanket. I'm not sure closing the Ltd completely makes you safe but I'm sure it can't do any harm. I'm just worried about the palava that may or my not happen with other contractors at Client X come April and I may get dragged into something. So the comfort blanket might be the parting gift of my Ltd to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
        That has been the strategy all along but I'm losing my nerve at the death and seeking a comfort blanket. I'm not sure closing the Ltd completely makes you safe but I'm sure it can't do any harm. I'm just worried about the palava that may or my not happen with other contractors at Client X come April and I may get dragged into something. So the comfort blanket might be the parting gift of my Ltd to me.
        there is nothing stopping you from buying tax investigation insurance from Markel or QDOS. They will asses your history and advise if they will cover you. Given IPSE's direction these days, I guess you might not ever need them in the future.
        Last edited by JohntheBike; 19 December 2019, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          there is nothing stopping you from buying tax investigation insurance fro Markel or QDOS. They will asses your history and advise if they will cover you. Given IPSE's direction these days, I guess you might not ever need them in the future.
          What JtB says. I would seriously consider the two options, above.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
            What JtB says. I would seriously consider the two options, above.
            Agreeing with JtB does not necessarily constitute good advice

For this case though it is simply a hard commercial decision. I agree you should go with the one that costs the least. That may not be the cheapest of course.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

For this case though it is simply a hard commercial decision. I agree you should go with the one that costs the least. That may not be the cheapest of course.
              I never claimed it was, just pointing out another alternative. The more alternatives that are identified, the better choice can be made.

Comment

I never claimed it was, just pointing out another alternative. The more alternatives that are identified, the better choice can be made.
                Oh yes, quite agree. It's the "Don't use IPSE they're irrelevant"* crowd that irritates, not people pointing out the alternatives. Dunno what Markel's PEI offering costs (it's not on their website for some reason...), but basic IPSE gives exactly the same cover, plus a discount on Markel's £248 contract reviews for instance, so may actually be cheaper as well as being unconditional.

* On that point, if Javid does review IR35 and April 2020 (yes, I know, unlikely but possible), that's IPSE's doing… so not that irrelevant
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

there is nothing stopping you from buying tax investigation insurance from Markel or QDOS. They will asses your history and advise if they will cover you. Given IPSE's direction these days, I guess you might not ever need them in the future.
                  I would be very surprised and a little disappointed if QDOS would retrospectively insure you for past work. I'm sure I've seen somewhere they won't.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I would be very surprised and a little disappointed if QDOS would retrospectively insure you for past work. I'm sure I've seen somewhere they won't.
                    what I mean is that I would expect that they would review your current and past situation and offer insurance if they thought you were outside of IR35. If examination of your history indicated that you were caught, then I guess they would not offer insurance going forward.

Comment

Working...
                    X