• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most contracts being advertised as Outside IR35 - Azure/Cloud Consultant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most contracts being advertised as Outside IR35 - Azure/Cloud Consultant

I'm finding that the majority of contracts being advertised now are Outside IR35 contracts for my skill set. My skillset is predominantly around Azure Data Platforms (Azure Architecture, Dev, Big Data etc). I've gone through the government tool and it's saying I fall outside IR35 in any case, however, I'm wondering if this is a supply/demand outcome or if clients are genuinely clued up on the fact that I am not a BAU person, rather coming in to deliver a project and then leave.

That's because agents want you to sign their contracts in order to keep their commissions rolling in.

They really don't care what happens to the client or you once you've signed up.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      I'm finding that the majority of contracts being advertised now are Outside IR35 contracts for my skill set. My skillset is predominantly around Azure Data Platforms (Azure Architecture, Dev, Big Data etc). I've gone through the government tool and it's saying I fall outside IR35 in any case, however, I'm wondering if this is a supply/demand outcome or if clients are genuinely clued up on the fact that I am not a BAU person, rather coming in to deliver a project and then leave.
      It actually says Outside, or do you mean it doesn't say inside?

What have you run through the tool, your current contract or the way you would like to work/contract?

I'm not confident many clients really want a true contractor when push comes to shove.

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
        It actually says Outside, or do you mean it doesn't say inside?

What have you run through the tool, your current contract or the way you would like to work/contract?

I'm not confident many clients really want a true contractor when push comes to shove.
        They don't want it, but skills shortage may force their hand. I've warned current client I will be walking if they don't clarify the situation and they came back pretty quickly clarifying it would be case by case and that my role was a clear outside IR35 one.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          That's because agents want you to sign their contracts in order to keep their commissions rolling in.

They really don't care what happens to the client or you once you've signed up.
          erm it's not up to them though. It's the end client that determines it.

Comment

erm it's not up to them though. It's the end client that determines it.
            Eventually.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Eventually.
              So this is my predicted scenario for high in demand skill sets:

Client: We are not taking the risk, make sure it's inside IR35 and we will increase the rate by 20p a day to make up for it

Agency comes back in 1 week: Nobody is willing to work like that, do you want to try permie or up your rate by 40%? Alternatively we can try IR35 engagement, means you have to bring in a true consultant

Client: Let's try Permie

Agency: No permies available with that skill set

Client: Ok fine! Outside IR35 it is then!

Comment

So this is my predicted scenario for high in demand skill sets:

Client: We are not taking the risk, make sure it's inside IR35 and we will increase the rate by 20p a day to make up for it

Agency comes back in 1 week: Nobody is willing to work like that, do you want to try permie or up your rate by 40%? Alternatively we can try IR35 engagement, means you have to bring in a true consultant

Client: Let's try Permie

Agency: No permies available with that skill set

Client: Ok fine! Outside IR35 it is then!
                Not really. The determination is on the role. They can't just say outside IR35 if they can't fill it. The role is still inside. They may go back and re-assess the determination but that's only going to happen in pretty rare instances.

With so many roles going inside and this hitting us hard many more people will be taking inside and perm than you think so the need for a client to spend time and money going against their policies in the short term are going to be very few and far between.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Not really. The determination is on the role. They can't just say outside IR35 if they can't fill it. The role is still inside. They may go back and re-assess the determination but that's only going to happen in pretty rare instances.

With so many roles going inside and this hitting us hard many more people will be taking inside and perm than you think so the need for a client to spend time and money going against their policies in the short term are going to be very few and far between.

Ok so roles clearly inside there is not much you can do. I'm talking about the instances where the client is just risk aversed.

Comment

Ok so roles clearly inside there is not much you can do. I'm talking about the instances where the client is just risk aversed.
                    Or

Brrrrrr brrrr, brrrr brrr "Good Afternoon Tata Consulting"

Ah yes hello, "could you supply me with an Azure Consultant?"

"Oh yes sir, plenty cheapness"
                    Last edited by Manic; 8 January 2020, 16:31.

Comment

Working...
                    X