• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trading Losses While Inside IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading Losses While Inside IR35

Just a hypothetical pondering - I've got a company that's been profitable for 6 years or so now. Let's say this year I ended up inside IR35. My assumption that all IR35 income gets taxed at PAYE rates with NIC, and therefore paid as salary and MyCo makes zero profit. Or, of course, I end up on PAYE/Umbrella/Whatever

But, of course, my company is still ticking on - I'm incurring accountancy fees, O365 fees, Plan B fees whatever. Can I offset these losses against previous years tax?

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Just a hypothetical pondering - I've got a company that's been profitable for 6 years or so now. Let's say this year I ended up inside IR35. My assumption that all IR35 income gets taxed at PAYE rates with NIC, and therefore paid as salary and MyCo makes zero profit. Or, of course, I end up on PAYE/Umbrella/Whatever

But, of course, my company is still ticking on - I'm incurring accountancy fees, O365 fees, Plan B fees whatever. Can I offset these losses against previous years tax?
    Not easily but you can offset them against the following year's profits.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Not easily but you can offset them against the following year's profits.
      The loss may be set against total profits of the current or previous accounting periods or may be carried forward and set against future trading income from the same trade.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

Yes.

Work out and claim relief from Corporation Tax trading losses - GOV.UK

It's a check box on your CT600 to indicate that you are carrying back the loss to the previous trading period.

Your accountant, should you have one, will be able to do this for you.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
        X