• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outside IR35 to a perm...best timing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside IR35 to a perm...best timing

I have been contracting for the same client for 5 years ( different roles and different teams) and my contract ends end of Feb 20. Now all contractors are being moved to a brolly or PAYE contractors. I was offered a perm role instead. Though there will be a drop in take home pay, I am seriously considering taking it until the dust settles in the market.
    Would it be better and less risky of being retrospectively investigated by HMRC to take the perm role now ? Or wait till Feb, leave the client, take a month off, and then join them as a permie? Or it makes no difference and it's best to leave the client and find a job elsewhere ? Anyone is in the same boat?

Originally posted by trailfinder09 View Post
    I have been contracting for the same client for 5 years ( different roles and different teams) and my contract ends end of Feb 20. Now all contractors are being moved to a brolly or PAYE contractors. I was offered a perm role instead. Though there will be a drop in take home pay, I am seriously considering taking it until the dust settles in the market.
    Would it be better and less risky of being retrospectively investigated by HMRC to take the perm role now ? Or wait till Feb, leave the client, take a month off, and then join them as a permie? Or it makes no difference and it's best to leave the client and find a job elsewhere ? Anyone is in the same boat?
    At a new client, yes.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Don't underestimate how bad the current job market is. Contracts are very difficult to find, rates are significantly down and a lot of people have been on the bench a long time. Leaving the client and finding a job elsewhere may be more difficult than you think. Of course, that may well be the best option for you, just be ready for it to take a while.

Comment

I would take March off and on 6th April start looking elsewhere.

Continuing with the same client post April is not ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBrown11 View Post

Continuing may not be "ideal", but the OP should investigate the market for their skills NOW before making any decision. The wider contract market is in the pan and it has been for quite some time. I doubt very much if finding work post April will be quite as easy as some would seem to think.
          Last edited by wattaj; 9 January 2020, 14:04. Reason: Clarification.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I get that, but as others said I have only one option at the moment either go perm (which I think is a safer option) or to continue as a contractor via brolly or PAYE. Same client... So will the break between a contract and going perm with the same client make any difference? Or going perm now is a safer option. just not sure what companies will be disclosing to HMRC

Comment

Will you be doing essentially the same type of work? Or will it be substantially different?

Comment

Will you be doing essentially the same type of work? Or will it be substantially different?
                It will be in the same business but I have the option of shaping my new role, so it will have similar nature but with a broader focus and responsibilities...

Comment

Originally posted by trailfinder09 View Post
                  It will be in the same business but I have the option of shaping my new role, so it will have similar nature but with a broader focus and responsibilities...
                  So that's a no then... The only difference would be that now you have to take on whatever your client-turned-employer says you should.

That said, I think the retro aspect is all a bit overstated. HMRC don't have the resources to chase down every edge case anyway, but as long as whatever you end up doing has a different contract to your previous engagement as a freelance and the role is clearly as an employee or as an inside-IR35 engagement with radically different Ts&Cs, they would have problems challenging your previous status anyway.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

sorry to keep boring you... so to clarify, there is no difference at what moment to go perm? I hate perm jobs...but bills need to be paid

Comment

Working...
                    X