• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extent of IR35 Liability

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extent of IR35 Liability

I sense this may have been asked already, but I can't find a clear answer on any of the threads, so apologies for duplication - it is my first post

I have been contracting since 2012, but my current contract commenced in November 2019, and is due to end on March 31st.

This is now the fifth different client I have had.

I am working on the assumption that my client will declare all Contractors are inside IR35, and future contract extensions are inside IR35. Assuming that I remain and sign an extension, I understand that this puts me in a difficult position if HMRC come knocking later for reasons that have been covered to death already.

My question is that for backdated tax, am I on the hook for all my previous contracts as a result of signing this extension, or am I just on the hook for the work I have done for this client?

I assume that I would only be on the hook for the current contract, and HMRC would have to prove each previous contract on a case by case basis. Is any one aware of any previous cases where contractors have been caught for multiple contracts?

The reason I am asking is that I'm trying to form a reasonable view of risk. I feel that if I had to only pay backdated tax from November, I could live with that risk, as I'm really enjoying the current contract and would prefer not to leave.

For clarity, I have very strong reason to believe there will be an extension as the Programme of work is another year minimum.

Thanks in advance.

All previous contracts, on a contact by contact basis

Likely hood of getting investigated is same as getting hit by lightning while getting eating by a shark at same time

Get some insurance for existing contact and relax

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

The floodgates appear to have opened and the meerkats are raising their heads.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaMonkey View Post
        I have been contracting since 2012, but my current contract commenced in November 2019, and is due to end on March 31st.
        Unless your payment terms are less than 1 week, do you realise that your final month's invoice (paid after April 6 2020) is covered by the new legislation and your client will have to make a determination that tells you whether that payment needs to be taxed at source by the fee payer (typically the agency)?

Comment

Extent of IR35 Liability

Needs to be paid latest 3rd April due to BACS cycle

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

You can buy QDOS insurance that will cover you for all those old contracts for less than £300. And QDOS barely asks anything about them, which gives me the idea that the risk is pretty low.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
              You can buy QDOS insurance that will cover you for all those old contracts for less than £300. And QDOS barely asks anything about them, which gives me the idea that the risk is pretty low.
              Could. Not so sure about can.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 11 January 2020, 00:52.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X