• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could IR35 become Boris's Poll Tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strikes me that this is a dumpster fire that Mr Javid isn't going to extinguish.

It seems to have all the hallmarks of a fledgling economic crisis.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Unlikely. It's been around for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Nope. Next.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Keep clutching at those straws.

This show will continue until the end game - HMRC cannot admit they are wrong as it will destroy Employers NI receipts if they did.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

And, further to the immediate above, Poll Tax impacted everyone in the UK, and IR35 etc does not even come close to the same numbers.

Comment

Strikes me that this is a dumpster fire that Mr Javid isn't going to extinguish.

No, because the Poll Tax was actually a fair tax, it's just that the poor with big families didn't like it. In everything we do, we generally pay for what we consume. Which makes the Poll Tax actually a fair tax, unlike IR35.

Comment

Not a chance, the effects are too far from the cause to be obvious and besides it would need contractors rioting in the street to bring it to the publics attention.

That is simply not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                No, because the Poll Tax was actually a fair tax, it's just that the poor with big families didn't like it. In everything we do, we generally pay for what we consume. Which makes the Poll Tax actually a fair tax, unlike IR35.
                Nope when it was introduced I ended up paying it at a house a slept in but didn't actually spend any time in nor use any amenities in the surrounding areas.

All it actually did was ensure people disappeared off the electoral role as it was the only means councils had of identifying people.

Hint houses are easy to tax as they can't easily move, people did and would equally argue that the information used was inaccurate.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                  In everything we do, we generally pay for what we consume
                  This is untrue more often than not when it comes to public services.

Level of payment and level of consumption are not linked in health, education, emergency services, transport infrastructure, defence - I'm sure I could think of plenty more.

I could sort of see where the poll tax was coming from in terms of spreading the load but Thatcher's mistake was to not lighten the load more at the low income end.

Despite all that, it was implemented and we still have it so, even if IR35 turns out to be Boris's poll tax (and somehow I can't see tens of thousands of contractors holding pitched battles with mounted police in Trafalgar Square), it will remain even if Boris doesn't.

All IMHO of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                    This is untrue more often than not when it comes to public services.

Level of payment and level of consumption are not linked in health, education, emergency services, transport infrastructure, defence - I'm sure I could think of plenty more.

I could sort of see where the poll tax was coming from in terms of spreading the load but Thatcher's mistake was to not lighten the load more at the low income end.

Despite all that, it was implemented and we still have it so, even if IR35 turns out to be Boris's poll tax (and somehow I can't see tens of thousands of contractors holding pitched battles with mounted police in Trafalgar Square), it will remain even if Boris doesn't.

All IMHO of course.
                    So it's fair that a granny living in a big house she's lived in all her life had to pay massively more tax than a bunch of half-4rsed chavs with a family of six 5hitty kids, lining up a convoy of dustbins?

Comment

Working...
                    X