• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dealing with a company that bases IR35 decision on the CEST tool.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with a company that bases IR35 decision on the CEST tool.

Just been hit by the IR35 question from high up in the company, they send a ton of powerpoints to the supervisor and said run the CEST tool and feed back immediately.

My contract ends before march, and I'll be going direct, thus getting a new contract that I will have complete control over (rather than via an agency). I'm wondering if there's any way to word it so I can actually pass the CEST tool.

I mean at the moment I work when, where and how I want, I frequently work less days when the client doesn't need me (usually 3-5 days a week) and sometimes reject if a client wants me to work some extra days. I have a statement of work and a fixed project.

TBH I don't really know what to do to pass it, short of literally getting a substitute in, which would be a pain since there's a basic background check required.

Any suggestions? The client is super keen to keep me on so they'll be as flexible as I like. I just think their superiors in some central office miles away want concrete proof of working outside and have basically said CEST or bust.

I'm considering literally getting someone in on my behalf for a couple of days though if that's the only way to pass it. They'd be fine with that.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps I can get them to agree not to vet a substitute but seems crazy, because they spoke to *me* before I started the job, so how is that any different from speaking to a substitute to check them out? Likewise if I offer a substitute and they accept, then it's as good as a pass, yet I can offer a substitute, and they can still vet him and approve.

Baffling.
    Last edited by FIERCE TANK BATTLE; 16 January 2020, 11:52.

Concentrate on the three pillars of IR35. Both from a 'contract inclusion' and 'working methods' point of view.

Substitution - The CEST tool only now seems to want to know that you have a right to Offer a Substitute, but that the client can turn them down if necessary. Having personally answered the CEST tool question in exactly this way, (and with due deference to the other questions) I have been found Outside.

MoO - Ensure that everyone understands that there is no MoO. If the work dries up, you can be let go. If you've done the work that you're interested in, then you don't have to accept incoming work. Include a contractual zero days' notice and a furlough if necessary.

Control - Ensure that everyone knows you work from home / Spain, the moon, and no one will be upset. And then put that into practice and document.

Practically speaking, this should cover your immediate concerns, and those of the client.

Comment

IANAL but I'd be asking a professional body like QDOS rather than a bunch of charlatans off the internet.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        IANAL but I'd be asking a professional body like QDOS rather than a bunch of charlatans off the internet.
        Indeed, but then wouldn't that answer apply to much of what is discussed on this forum?

...Which would render the forum redundant and not offer the much needed platform for people to look down on others from their lofty perch with their superior knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          Indeed, but then wouldn't that answer apply to much of what is discussed on this forum?

...Which would render the forum redundant and not offer the much needed platform for people to look down on others from their lofty perch with their superior knowledge.
          Not really; while I understand your sentiment, this seems a genuine question with an action to follow - following a course of action based on advice (rather than experience or actual knowledge) seems crazy. A lot of the time, people are hoping someone else has encountered these things before, e.g. notice period questions, bleeding radiators, etc.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

All comes down to reality though, someone somewhere will have to put their neck on the line and say that they'll accept any substitution. And whatever manager it is 5 levels up the hierarchy in another country at the head office so far removed it's ridiculous will be like 'well we would want to check they're suitable right?'.

Likewise with control, we have a project manager, so they set progress meetings for the team periodically where people report progress/issues and she feeds it back to the end client to keep them up to date. If there's a problem with the project, e.g. at Christmas the supplier was on holiday, she said don't work that week (my contract is for 3 days a week since that's what the budget is).

Since they 'controlled' me for that technically you have to answer the question of if I choose my own working times as false, even though it's true.

It's worded like that on purpose I'm sure to catch you inside. It's not me doing the tool but the person in charge of me who has no idea about IR35 and just answers the CEST tool. "We want him to come in so he can work alongside other people" is probably what they'd say.

Argh. It's like if you could explain/clarify your answers it'd be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
              All comes down to reality though, someone somewhere will have to put their neck on the line and say that they'll accept any substitution. And whatever manager it is 5 levels up the hierarchy in another country at the head office so far removed it's ridiculous will be like 'well we would want to check they're suitable right?'.

Likewise with control, we have a project manager, so they set progress meetings for the team periodically where people report progress/issues and she feeds it back to the end client to keep them up to date. If there's a problem with the project, e.g. at Christmas the supplier was on holiday, she said don't work that week (my contract is for 3 days a week since that's what the budget is).

Since they 'controlled' me for that technically you have to answer the question of if I choose my own working times as false, even though it's true.

It's worded like that on purpose I'm sure to catch you inside. It's not me doing the tool but the person in charge of me who has no idea about IR35 and just answers the CEST tool. "We want him to come in so he can work alongside other people" is probably what they'd say.

Argh. It's like if you could explain/clarify your answers it'd be fine.
              Thought for the day: If I were still a contractor, I'd happily pay some else 3 days of rate to come in and get up to speed and then an extra day to do the work on Friday while I'm off playing golf. 4 days of substitution cash (c£2k) is worthwhile spend for a cast iron outside IR35 determination.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Not really; while I understand your sentiment, this seems a genuine question with an action to follow - following a course of action based on advice (rather than experience or actual knowledge) seems crazy. A lot of the time, people are hoping someone else has encountered these things before, e.g. notice period questions, bleeding radiators, etc.
                Fair play.

To change the wording slightly to the OP in respect of Substitution;

1. Engage the CEST tool
                2. Answer all questions accurately according to contract and working practice
                3. For the Substitution question, answer that you Can forward a Sub, and that the Client can Reject.

And let us know if you have the same Outside result as that which I had.

Comment

From CEST:

Does your client have the right to reject a substitute?

A substitute is someone you send in your place to do your role.

This can include rejecting a substitute even if they are equally qualified, and meet your client’s interviewing, vetting and security clearance procedures.
                  If the client really is willing to be flexible, you want the following or comparable wording in your contract:

ContractorLTD can send any individual to do the work that is fully qualified and meets ClientCo's interviewing, vetting and security clearance procedures. ContractorLTD is responsible for the payment of any individual that does the work.
                  Then, you tell whoever is doing CEST that they answer NO, they don't have the right to reject a substitute, because they don't have the right to reject someone who is equally qualified and meets their interviewing, vetting and security clearance procedures.

Go through CEST question by question, figure out which answers are best for IR35, as much as possible get the client to agree to the working practices described, as much as possible get the client to agree to wording in the contract that reflects that, and put together a guide to whoever is doing CEST -- "this question is addressed in the contract with this wording, the proper answer here is X".

Obviously, you need to be accurate. You can't put language in the contract for CEST that isn't reality. No shams here. But if the client is willing to work with you to the extent that a substitute is acceptable to them, you should easily be able to construct an outside-IR35 working relationship and have the contract and CEST determination that matches.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    Fair play.

To change the wording slightly to the OP in respect of Substitution;

1. Engage the CEST tool
                    2. Answer all questions accurately according to contract and working practice
                    3. For the Substitution question, answer that you Can forward a Sub, and that the Client can Reject.

And let us know if you have the same Outside result as that which I had.
                    I did that originally, and got 'inside' because of the substitution. Did it again with client can't reject and got outside. :-|

Comment

Working...
                    X