• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HSBC bans its consultancies from supplying limited company contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
    "skilled people". Not cheap as chips robots. People who can think for themselves and specialize in something
    Sadly, the people who make decisions about outsourcing consider IT workers to be all of equal value. They also fail to understand that if someone on £800 a day fixes an issue in one hour, that's cheaper than someone on £80 a day fixing the issue in 2 days.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Sadly, the people who make decisions about outsourcing consider IT workers to be all of equal value. They also fail to understand that if someone on £800 a day fixes an issue in one hour, that's cheaper than someone on £80 a day fixing the issue in 2 days.
      Every year I have seen the quality of the off-shored people increase. One reason why I am pleased I moved from a bank to a software house. Instead of a cost centre I am a profit centre.

Comment

Probably sees them a tax dodgers

Probably right

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
          HSBC move will backfire.
          Absolutely. It's basic math. If they have a product / service that is going to make xx million a year. Not hiring the best people is going cost them x million a month because they can't get the thing out of the door on time.

As the author Jim Collins of Good to Great says "First, get the right people on the bus".

You will still get good permies, but contractors tend to be on another level because they haven't had the life sucked out of them by the corporate bulltulip.

Comment

There are probably too many permanent contractors there who are fully embedded in the organisation and they have been allowed to stay because the lack of head count looks good on the books.

Perhaps a shake up of resourcing will be good for the bank, as permies who've relied on contractors to cover up their ineptitude will be exposed. (I hear this is happening at Gatwick)

What I don't like is the message this approach gives both the market and HMRC.

Yes, take the forthcoming change and use it to positively influence how you operate your organisation. No, don't deliver HMRC's propaganda to them on a silver platter.

Comment

Originally posted by genius View Post
              And this is true. I'm yet to find a single poster on here who isn't an average joe waster coasting in his overpaid cushy role which has always been inside IR35 (not that you'll ever admit it because you work from home on a Tuesday). Well, they've finally caught up with you.
              I did forget to thank you for that time you spent reviewing my working practices with my client. So, thank-you. Where do I send the invoice? The IR35 determination based on that work will be in the post.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                The view from HSBC directors(via a friend) is that the contractors are overpaid
                I couldn't agree more with those directors, making ends meet on their annual packages of £3-6m.

Greedy, greedy contractors

Comment

Who profits from these changes at HSBC?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisHadfield View Post
                    EY the people who suggested them

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisHadfield View Post
                      I'm not sure this is about profit, but instead it is about risk. If HSBC go to MyLittleAgency and to get a resources, and that person is paid via a PSC, HSBC have to make the determination. They don't want to make determinations. It confuses their HR department and makes their legal department worry. They just want a temporary employee they can tell what to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X