• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside IR35 & I Want to Stay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    No, IR35 is a company liability, not a personal liability. It is a failure to operate PAYE/NICs correctly (deemed payments). If you get it wrong, your company pays, not you personally. Transfer of debt from a company to an individual, such as a director, has a high bar (negligence).
    I know I should understand this but sadly don't. So if HMRC have accepted your final accounts and the company is closed you have escaped ( barring negligence ). What happens if the company is still open but not trading and has limited funds ?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
      I know I should understand this but sadly don't. So if HMRC have accepted your final accounts and the company is closed you have escaped ( barring negligence ). What happens if the company is still open but not trading and has limited funds ?
      In practice, probably yes. In theory, they could reopen the company, but it wouldn't get them anywhere, barring negligence.

If the company is open, then any proven liability would stand, but the same principle applies about transferring it to a director (i.e., it's hard). Obviously, if you continue trading, the debt stands. Also, for a company still trading, they may be able to claw-back any dividends paid after an IR35 investigation was opened (would need to talk to a professional about that).

Comment

Get your Clint not to assess you and just inform you they no longer take on limited compNy contractors

You then go via umbrella

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

In practice, probably yes. In theory, they could reopen the company, but it wouldn't get them anywhere, barring negligence.

If the company is open, then any proven liability would stand, but the same principle applies about transferring it to a director (i.e., it's hard). Obviously, if you continue trading, the debt stands. Also, for a company still trading, they may be able to claw-back any dividends paid after an IR35 investigation was opened (would need to talk to a professional about that).
          So if someone was closing their Ltd via the <£25K route and had already distributed the funds then even if HMRC rejected the final accounts ( and opened an IR35 investigation ) they'd be struggling to claw back any IR35 liabilities down the track !?!

Comment

So if someone was closing their Ltd via the <£25K route and had already distributed the funds then even if HMRC rejected the final accounts ( and opened an IR35 investigation ) they'd be struggling to claw back any IR35 liabilities down the track !?!
            Whether a company is opened or closed or how it was closed isn’t the main issue here, that’s a sideshow. Yes, if the director applied due diligence in operating PAYE, such as a professional status review and evidence of working practices, it would be difficult for HMRC to transfer any PAYE debt to the director were that contract to be subsequently found inside. Likewise for NICS, but the legislation is different in each case. But if the contractor had done their due diligence, it’s extremely unlikely that they were wrong to begin with!

Comment

Whether a company is opened or closed or how it was closed isn’t the main issue here, that’s a sideshow. Yes, if the director applied due diligence in operating PAYE, such as a professional status review and evidence of working practices, it would be difficult for HMRC to transfer any PAYE debt to the director were that contract to be subsequently found inside. Likewise for NICS, but the legislation is different in each case. But if the contractor had done their due diligence, it’s extremely unlikely that they were wrong to begin with!
              Not all Directors are diligent all of the time

Comment

Not all Directors are diligent all of the time
                Right, so then the risk is greater.

I mean, if a contract were blatantly inside all along and the director didn't conduct any due diligence and it can be shown (e.g., through their posts on CUK ) that the director knew about all this and suspected that the contract were inside, then a transfer of debt might be possible.

Comment

IANAL/A but IR35 liabilities will be on the person, not the company. So the company closed and they come after you for the liabilities as they are not the companies
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    IANAL/A but IR35 liabilities will be on the person, not the company. So the company closed and they come after you for the liabilities as they are not the companies
                    Did you even read the posts above?

Comment

Right, so then the risk is greater.

I mean, if a contract were blatantly inside all along and the director didn't conduct any due diligence and it can be shown (e.g., through their posts on CUK ) that the director knew about all this and suspected that the contract were inside, then a transfer of debt might be possible.
                      I am building my arguments as we speak and going through old emails for evidence. Some decent pointers and also some less decent ones. I can also pass a CEST and have saved it but only recently, and it's so subjective. CEST didn't exist when I started the contract in question. So I wouldn't say its blatant, but I wouldn't would I.

This old post covers the liability issue.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...35-caught.html
                      Last edited by rootsnall; 21 January 2020, 18:35.

Comment

Working...
                      X