• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IBM introducing blanket bans on PSCs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM introducing blanket bans on PSCs

This is quite interesting. Kind of assumed IBM would be poised to clean up, from a consultancy point of view, if/when private sector tech contractors walk out at other organisations. Not quite sure how that would work if their own devs leave though

IR35 private sector reforms: IBM joins list of enterprises applying blanket ban to PSCs

Originally posted by KUWTC View Post
    This is quite interesting. Kind of assumed IBM would be poised to clean up, from a consultancy point of view, if/when private sector tech contractors walk out at other organisations. Not quite sure how that would work if their own devs leave though

IR35 private sector reforms: IBM joins list of enterprises applying blanket ban to PSCs
    If you don't trust your staff to do assessments correctly what else would you do?

No one wishes to be HMRC's test case especially when the client loses and HMRC ask for 2,000 other cases to be included in the final bill.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by KUWTC View Post

The bigger the company the greater the exposure, and thus the smaller the appetite for risk.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Fun fact - my PSC pays IBM $995 a year to use their software for internal training and demo purposes. Seeing as I'll likely have to close my PSC, they'll lose that income and I won't be able to keep my skills up-to-date on their latest releases.
        Last edited by BillHicksRIP; 20 January 2020, 22:34.

Comment

IBM depends on contractors to deliver their projects, most of their own staff are complete numpties* that struggle with mainstream open-source technologies and the realities of commercial deadlines.

This is going to deal quite a blow to an already wounded animal.

Just completed a joint project with them; we had to finish it as they seemed quite unable to cope.

* except the OS guys.
          I guess those that develop and maintain the operating systems and associated software would known their onions.
          Last edited by TwoWolves; 21 January 2020, 09:20.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
            IBM depends on contractors to deliver their projects, most of their own staff are complete numpties that struggle with mainstream open-source technologies and the realities of commercial deadlines.

This is going to deal quite a blow to an already wounded animal.

Just completed a joint project with them; we had to finish it as they seemed quite unable to cope.
            I know that IBM use contractors to provide services to other organisations, but do they not have their own staff to maintain the products they sell themselves? I guess those that develop and maintain the operating systems and associated software would known their onions.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              I know that IBM use contractors to provide services to other organisations, but do they not have their own staff to maintain the products they sell themselves? I guess those that develop and maintain the operating systems and associated software would known their onions.
              What is more likely is that the people wrote the system, got pay rises due to their knowledge and were then fired a year or 2 later because they were too expensive and cheaper resources (albeit without the knowledge) were available.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
              X