• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fixed price project work from April 2020?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quantum77 View Post
    In the past I've always charges a daily rate to clients. Post April 2020 could I package up work and charge a per project price to get around IR35?
    YOU could.

But you will still need the buy in of the client. And that ain't likely to happen, Just-Like-That.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      YOU could.

But you will still need the buy in of the client. And that ain't likely to happen, Just-Like-That.
      Indeed they will just hire from the 1000’s of benched contractors willing to bend over

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Indeed they will just hire from the 1000’s of benched contractors willing to bend over
        It sounds really easy doesn't it? Get rid of your contractor and just pick up one of many who are benched, because it's easier and cheaper?

No, that's not what happens in EVERY situation. My client approached me and asked ME to change to a fixed price situation, partly forced by the requirement of the hedge fund to ditch all contractors due to IR35 and partly for my desire to move abroad, which I had been planning for a few years now.

Not all contracts are something that can be easily filled by a benched contractor. In my case it took 6-12 months just to get up to speed on the ground, before I even started tackling the project. That's not something that some clients are willing to go through again, so it's easier to work with who they have and ensure a situation that suits everyone. In my case I will be on fixed priced contracts and I will be out of the country when I service them.

So the answer to the OP is yes, it's possible, but only if you have a good relationship with the client, have a niche that puts you above the rest and they are on-board with the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
          It sounds really easy doesn't it? Get rid of your contractor and just pick up one of many who are benched, because it's easier and cheaper?

No, that's not what happens in EVERY situation. My client approached me and asked ME to change to a fixed price situation, partly forced by the requirement of the hedge fund to ditch all contractors due to IR35 and partly for my desire to move abroad, which I had been planning for a few years now.

Not all contracts are something that can be easily filled by a benched contractor. In my case it took 6-12 months just to get up to speed on the ground, before I even started tackling the project. That's not something that some clients are willing to go through again, so it's easier to work with who they have and ensure a situation that suits everyone. In my case I will be on fixed priced contracts and I will be out of the country when I service them.
          Sounds like you've got a good situation and I hope it continues to work well for you!

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
          So the answer to the OP is yes, it's possible, but only if you have a good relationship with the client, have a niche that puts you above the rest and they are on-board with the idea.
          I've got the first two, so just need to get them on board, which I'm sure they'll agree is easier than finding someone new.

Comment

Originally posted by quantum77 View Post
            Sounds like you've got a good situation and I hope it continues to work well for you!

I've got the first two, so just need to get them on board, which I'm sure they'll agree is easier than finding someone new.
            Thank you, yes I hope it works out for you too. But whatever happens it's worth remembering that any situation can change very quickly, so I am keeping my feet on the ground and making sure I have a backup plan ready, should anything go wrong.

Comment

Good client relationships go a long way. IR35 discourages this by making long term relationships and flexibility a black mark against you. What's good for building a business and relationships is bad for IR35, one of the many reasons it is an exceptionally stupid law.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                Good client relationships go a long way. IR35 discourages this by making long term relationships and flexibility a black mark against you. What's good for building a business and relationships is bad for IR35, one of the many reasons it is an exceptionally stupid law.
                If you don't mind. let me repeat this again:-

Employers NI is worth £70bn+ to HMRC.

HMRC are petrified that the gig economy will destroy that NI.

IR35 is literally the only thing HMRC has (and the first thing they must strength) to avoid that £70bn rapidly eroding away.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  If you don't mind. let me repeat this again:-

Employers NI is worth £70bn+ to HMRC.

HMRC are petrified that the gig economy will destroy that NI.

IR35 is literally the only thing HMRC has (and the first thing they must strength) to avoid that £70bn rapidly eroding away.

Of course. If you don't mind, let me repeat this again, though. IR35 is stupid legislation. It's a stupid way to try to fix their problem.

There are significant imbalances to the way different kinds of income are taxed in this country, and as long as those imbalances exist you will have people finding ways to shift income from high-tax income to low-tax income, and you will come up with ever more convoluted ways to restrict that.

The changes to dividend taxation a few years ago basically bridged the gap on employee NI. Now, it is only ERNI. There are other ways to bridge the gap on that.

The other thing that IR35 "protects against" is income splitting. But that's a smaller problem. That also is a problem due to taxation imbalances -- one-earner households are taxed much more heavily (proportionally) than two-earner households. That's driven by ideology, not by economic sense. Remove that imbalance and you'd end the whole income-splitting issue.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post

Of course. If you don't mind, let me repeat this again, though. IR35 is stupid legislation. It's a stupid way to try to fix their problem.

There are significant imbalances to the way different kinds of income are taxed in this country, and as long as those imbalances exist you will have people finding ways to shift income from high-tax income to low-tax income, and you will come up with ever more convoluted ways to restrict that.

The changes to dividend taxation a few years ago basically bridged the gap on employee NI. Now, it is only ERNI. There are other ways to bridge the gap on that.

The other thing that IR35 "protects against" is income splitting. But that's a smaller problem. That also is a problem due to taxation imbalances -- one-earner households are taxed much more heavily (proportionally) than two-earner households. That's driven by ideology, not by economic sense. Remove that imbalance and you'd end the whole income-splitting issue.
                    Come up with a way that ERNI can be implemented on the contracting industry without increasing the tax rates for of your typical self employed plumber.

If you can do that, you will solve the problem that HMRC have spent the last x years trying to resolve without any success.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Come up with a way that ERNI can be implemented on the contracting industry without increasing the tax rates for of your typical self employed plumber.

If you can do that, you will solve the problem that HMRC have spent the last x years trying to resolve without any success.
                      Pretty simple, actually. The dividend tax already solved half the problem. Div tax + CT is roughly equivalent to EENI + IT. Bump it up by another 7.5% for close companies, and you've basically solved it. Might hit pensioners with family businesses in some cases, increase the dividend allowance for pensioners to £7.5K. Tweak as needed.

Doesn't solve the income splitting issue, but that's relatively minor by comparison. It could be solved but won't because of ideology.

This was discussed at some length here: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...then-what.html.

Comment

Working...
                      X