• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 deductions - breach of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    ok, thanks. So I guess its worth asking nearer the time what provisions are being made if contracts are up until the end of March, as mine is.
    I have a 'gentlemans agreement' with the consultancy I work via to settle March before 5 April if the client makes an inside determination. Normal payment terms are 30 days.

My PO runs out on 20th March anyway.

Comment

ok, thanks. So I guess its worth asking nearer the time what provisions are being made if contracts are up until the end of March, as mine is.
      Nope, it's worth asking now what the plan is otherwise you may need to leave early.

You don't want your final payment to be attached to a notice to HMRC from the client we thought he was inside IR35 all the time.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I have a 'gentlemans agreement' with the consultancy I work via to settle March before 5 April if the client makes an inside determination. Normal payment terms are 30 days.

My PO runs out on 20th March anyway.
        yes, the determination is the key. My client, through Qdos, is in the process now of assessing the contracts. I'm keeping my head down for the moment and waiting to see what transpires. Abbey Tax has assessed my contract as outside, so I hope Qdos will come to the same conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Nope, it's worth asking now what the plan is otherwise you may need to leave early.

You don't want your final payment to be attached to a notice to HMRC from the client we thought he was inside IR35 all the time.

This has partially answered another newbie question.

The other day I told the boss I don't want the company to make a determination and I will leave the contract early (end Feb) - they seem sympathetic and agreed with my plan (but who knows what the company will say to that).

Is my request even necessary if I'm leaving within the self assessed period?

Comment

yes, but there is still the issue of deductions in April 2020 for work done in March under the existing contract. Posters here claim that most outfits in the public sector ensured that payments for work done in March were made before the 6th of April. I can't see that the sector was that efficient. There must have been some who were subject to this. I'd be contemplating a small claims court action.
            Don't do this.
            JtB is very quick to give legal advice from a position of very little (**** all) knowledge. Mostly it consists of litigation which is very inadvisable.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Don't do this.
              JtB is very quick to give legal advice from a position of very little (**** all) knowledge. Mostly it consists of litigation which is very inadvisable.

Not so, litigation has been very profitable for me. In any event, each individual will need to decide their own strategy.

Comment

Not so, litigation has been very profitable for me. In any event, each individual will need to decide their own strategy.
                you perceiving it as a good strategy for you is not the same as it being good advice for others.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  you perceiving it as a good strategy for you is not the same as it being good advice for others.
                  I accept that. All I'm trying to do, and have always tried to do, is to make people aware of possible choices or avenues of approach. Clearly each person's circumstances are unique and they must make up their own minds what is the best course of action for them. If you were not aware of some issue in life which would have been advantageous to you, I guess you and many would say "I wish I'd known that, I could have done -"

HMRC consistently say that being subject to IR35 in the FTT doesn't automatically assign employment rights. That is correct, but it is propaganda. If the factors used in the FTT are the same as would be used by the ET, and I've asked that question several times, but received no answer, then it is likely that an ET would come to the same conclusion as the FTT. HMRC's propaganda tries to conceal that principle.

I cannot see that an ET would come to a different conclusion even if it were purely for political reasons, i.e. one court wouldn't want to come to a different conclusion to the other. But granted, adopting such a strategy would depend entirely on the individuals' personal circumstances. I'm really surprised that no one has yet attempted this, particularly when you consider the bills that some BBC presenters are faced with.

Comment

I'm really surprised that no one has yet attempted this, particularly when you consider the bills that some BBC presenters are faced with.
                    This is so off topic that I really should be replying to it.

The reason why you wouldn't use an employment tribunal is that you wouldn't do that until all appeals on the tax side of things have been completed and you have a final determination.

I don't believe anyone has got to that absolute final determination yet.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X