• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help please with IR35 Scope

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nicke1 View Post
    Lied about what? Are you actually reading my replies?

I’ll reiterate once more - the Dutch tax office is fully aware about my situation. I have not lied about anything. I have paid a significant amount of additional NL than I would have to.
    His method of communication is to troll when he thinks he spots someone trying to come up with a scheme to circumvent the forthcoming changes.

If everything is as you say, then you need professional advice. I suspect those up the chain will not pay for it and will seek to take the most risk adverse route. Therefore, if you want piece of mind, you need to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I think you need to take professional advice, not free advice from amateurs on an internet forum.
      Thanks, I’ll try. I tried to engage with the consulting firm that is used by my agent but they haven’t been very helpful. To date their responses have been generic copy and pastes. I presume part of the issue is that no one really knows some of these answers for how pragmatically IR35 will execute and be applied.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        His method of communication is to troll when he thinks he spots someone trying to come up with a scheme to circumvent the forthcoming changes.

If everything is as you say, then you need professional advice. I suspect those up the chain will not pay for it and will seek to take the most risk adverse route. Therefore, if you want piece of mind, you need to pay for it.
        Alas not in this case

Ladymuck is a tad dim

I’ve done exactly same setup as op

It’s illegal to my cost

Mate PM me if you want to know why it’s illegal what to do now

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 26 January 2020, 21:09.

Comment

Originally posted by nicke1 View Post
          Thanks, I’ll try. I tried to engage with the consulting firm that is used by my agent but they haven’t been very helpful. To date their responses have been generic copy and pastes. I presume part of the issue is that no one really knows some of these answers for how pragmatically IR35 will execute and be applied.
          Think about it from their POV. Post April, the UK supply chain above YourCo will be both responsible and liable, starting with the Fee Payer (ordinarily). You can change your tax residency at any time during a tax year, outside of the control of the UK supply chain, and bringing you within scope.

Under the new regime, I would do precisely what your UK supply chain is currently doing. I would stick my fingers in my ears and say, no exceptions, you're being assessed (or you're conforming to whatever policy decision we're making for everyone else). That is the only sensible thing for them to do, IMHO. You'll need professional advice for a better answer.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Think about it from their POV. Post April, the UK supply chain above YourCo will be both responsible and liable, starting with the Fee Payer (ordinarily). You can change your tax residency at any time during a tax year, outside of the control of the UK supply chain, and bringing you within scope.

Under the new regime, I would do precisely what your UK supply chain is currently doing. I would stick my fingers in my ears and say, no exceptions, you're being assessed (or you're conforming to whatever policy decision we're making for everyone else). That is the only sensible thing for them to do, IMHO. You'll need professional advice for a better answer.

Agree all

But as a Dutch resident he needs to prove

all his income is via Dutch HMCR and not a dodgy as above setup is

Comment

Have you provided them your NT tax code? How are they going to withhold tax on an NT tax code?

HMRC should be willing to issue a letter confirming that those with an NT tax code are out of scope.

No idea on the NL front as to whether you are being trolled or not, but it's entirely a separate question from the IR35 one. You may or may not be operating legally there, but re: IR35 the NT tax code should seal it.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                Have you provided them your NT tax code? How are they going to withhold tax on an NT tax code?

HMRC should be willing to issue a letter confirming that those with an NT tax code are out of scope.

No idea on the NL front as to whether you are being trolled or not, but it's entirely a separate question from the IR35 one. You may or may not be operating legally there, but re: IR35 the NT tax code should seal it.
                Indeed.
                Inside IR35 with an NT tax code is still inside, but still no tax.
                National Insurance will probably still be deducted as I don’t believe NT covers it.

The cash goes to the fee payer, who then deducts zero tax, and then pays it to the recipient. In this case the recipient is a UK LTD.
                Might be worth unregistering for VAT though as that could complicate things even more.

EDIT: no UK CT to pay either as it’s not profit I think. That would then mean the LTD is now Dutch tax resident, which is what Tarbie was getting at I think...

I am also not an international tax lawyer.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Agree all

But as a Dutch resident he needs to prove

all his income is via Dutch HMCR and not a dodgy as above setup is

Yeah, I lived there for several years and the Belastingdienst do, indeed, not feck around, but international tax is complicated, so the OP should get professional advice on that. As a controlling person, the OP's PSC probably has a Dutch PE.

If Sue pops in, she'll set the OP straight. In the mean time:

Working in the EEA - I-PAYE | UK and European Umbrella Services

--> Netherlands

Frequently Asked Questions
                  Q. I currently work on a project in the United Kingdom through a PSC and have an assignment in the
                  Netherlands, is it true that I can operate the same model in the Netherlands?
                  A. Under Dutch Domestic Law a UK PSC may be considered as having a Permanent Establishment in the
                  Netherlands, which means that all income derived by the business will be subject to Dutch Taxation. No matter
                  the taxation position of the company any employment income paid in respect of duties performed in Holland will
                  be subject to Dutch Taxation and Social Security from day 1.
                  In addition any dividends payable to shareholders will be subject to Dutch Dividend Taxation either at resident or
                  non-resident rates.
                  Q. What happens if I choose to ignore the rules?
                  A. There is Chain of Liability Liability Law in the Netherlands, which means that liabilities can pass up the
                  contractual chain, the Dutch also use the Mutual Assistance Recovery Directive (MARD) to request the UK and
                  other Tax Authorities to collect any unpaid moneys due.
                  From 1 October 2017 new legislation has been enacted in the United Kingdom that means that any entity engaging
                  in or with business that evades taxation in a Foreign Country will be subject to an unlimited fine. Failing to report
                  income to the Dutch Authorities is Tax Evasion, not avoidance, and under Dutch Law would generally lead to a
                  criminal conviction.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    Right, they can't, but what happens when the OP subsequently fails the RDR3 and becomes UK resident and fails to update the supply chain? Sounds complicated. The draft legislation allows for the transfer of debt, even as a result of mistakes by others (save the fraud get-out).

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Alas not in this case

Ladymuck is a tad dim

I’ve done exactly same setup as op

It’s illegal to my cost

Mate PM me if you want to know why it’s illegal what to do now

Well your posts mostly read like trolling because of the way you word them. You drip feed semi useful snippets in amongst unhelpful crud and then get all uppity when someone doesn't like the way you put things across.

You're exactly the same in person which is actually quite refreshing for a troll.

Comment

Working...
                      X