• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period?

Hi everyone!

I've been contracting outside IR35 for a few years with an end client. I have an 8 week notice period. Moreover, as I invoice weekly, I have accepted a contract until 27th March.

I am hearing rumblings that the end client is going to impose a ban on PSCs after 29th February?

Can anyone explain why they might be taking this approach in this tax year, given that new private sector rules kick in for next tax year?

My limited company has a valid contract with an 8 week notice period. Can I expect that to be honoured legally?

Regards

BBMK

People need to be paid before 5th April.

Of course they will honour the notice period. They might not give you any work. And are no obligation to give you any. No work means no pay.

Comment

Notice period?

Have you been hiding in a cave for 3 years ?

Question 1

Who says you are outside IR35 right now

You
      Your agent
      Your client
      Your accountant
      Someone like qdos

Who was your last contract reviewed with?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

The client has to decide the status of any contractors before the next tax year starts. They then need to potentially renegotiate contracts to account for any taxes due.

The alternative is you turn up on Monday 6th April, discover you're deemed inside and that your day rate will be paid to you net of tax and NI. And then, if you don't like that, have to work the 8 week notice period (which feels excessive for a contract role but that's a different discussion) taking home significantly less than you did previously.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Have you been hiding in a cave for 3 years ?

Question 1

Who says you are outside IR35 right now

You
          Your agent
          Your client
          Your accountant
          Someone like qdos

Who was your last contract reviewed with?

I've been keeping abreast of the situation for the last 3 years.

At various stages, the entire list supplied above have suggested that I work outside IR35. The immediate manager I supply for believes I work outside IR35. But the organisation has gone down the blanket determination route on all contractors.

Comment

Notice period?

The immediate “manager” I supply for believes I work outside IR35..

Nice one

Back to your original question

No they will not, what’s the penalty for either side not giving 8 weeks notice ?

Payment in full?
            Or no Penalty specified in contract, meaning none

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              And then, if you don't like that, have to work the 8 week notice period (which feels excessive for a contract role but that's a different discussion) taking home significantly less than you did previously.
              Surely a material change in the existing contract such as now being "deemed" inside of IR35 renders that existing contract void. No notice period; just walk away if you can?
              Last edited by wattaj; 26 January 2020, 11:14.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by bbmk View Post
                Hi everyone!

I've been contracting outside IR35 for a few years with an end client. I have an 8 week notice period. Moreover, as I invoice weekly, I have accepted a contract until 27th March.

I am hearing rumblings that the end client is going to impose a ban on PSCs after 29th February?

Can anyone explain why they might be taking this approach in this tax year, given that new private sector rules kick in for next tax year?

My limited company has a valid contract with an 8 week notice period. Can I expect that to be honoured legally?

Regards

BBMK
                Umm, because it's their business and they can do whatever whenever they like.

Comment

Originally posted by bbmk View Post
                  Hi everyone!

Regards

BBMK
                  Notice period is not relevant.
                  Just don't renew.
                  If they blanket you inside you won't be able to renew anyway as that will be a new contract.

As for honouring a notice period I'm sure they will honour it. If they deicde to use it they'll provide notice, and you'll still be in a contract for 8 more weeks. They'll most likely tell you not to bother turning up. You'll still be in contract but probably not getting paid. I'm not sure this worries you though. Seems unlikely they'll bin you early.

You do know that they don't have to serve notice to end you on March 27th don't you?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

They can legally honour it but also legally not provide you any work so you've nothing to bill for.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X