• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retrospective IR35 investigations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    That's not quite true.

The Intermediaries Reporting Requirements require agencies to collect and report information on contractors they engage outside of IR35. This includes NI numbers.

Employment intermediaries reporting requirements - GOV.UK

What this means for a worker - GOV.UK

Employment intermediaries report template (CSV) - GOV.UK
    This includes NI numbers.
    as I have already stated, I've not provided my NI number to any agency. However, I have provided a photo copy of my passport through my solicitor to prove my right to work in the UK.

"You may have to provide the intermediary with your:

name
    address and postcode
    National Insurance number or gender and date of birth
    unique taxpayer reference (UTR) number"
    Last edited by JohntheBike; 31 January 2020, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      as I have already stated, I've not provided my NI number to any agency. However, I have provided a photo copy of my passport through my solicitor to prove my right to work in the UK.

You keep repeating yourself, doesn't make it right.

Click on the links and read them.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        You keep repeating yourself, doesn't make it right.

Click on the links and read them.
        I have and highlighted the relevant text. Supplying your NI number is not mandatory. The gender and date of birth requirement is fulfilled by providing your passport details, which do not contain your NI number.
        Last edited by JohntheBike; 31 January 2020, 10:23.

Comment

I have and highlighted the relevant text. Supplying your NI number is not mandatory.
          I guess you know better than the government. You must supply an NI number if you have one. If you don't have one then you must supply gender and date of birth.

How to use the employment intermediaries template - GOV.UK

3.3 National Insurance number

‘Worker National Insurance number’ must be included if the worker has one. If they don’t have a National Insurance number, there must be a gender and date of birth. If there is a National Insurance number it must be formatted as 2 letters then 6 numbers then A, B, C, D or a space, without any spaces between the sections, like QQ123456C or QQ123456.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I guess you know better than the government. You must supply an NI number if you have one. If you don't have one then you must supply gender and date of birth.

‘Worker National Insurance number’ must be included if the worker has one. If they don’t have a National Insurance number, there must be a gender and date of birth. If there is a National Insurance number it must be formatted as 2 letters then 6 numbers then A, B, C, D or a space, without any spaces between the sections, like QQ123456C or QQ123456.

JtB is impervious to your meagre facts....

You need to state something, right or wrong, repeatedly, with a lengthy story about how you KNOW it's right, and that you won a court case in 1978.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by CompoundOverload View Post
              Was that not the Working Practices questionnaire?
              Yes, that's what I was referring to

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                Well the wording of the contract might be outside but what are the working practices in reality? Is the RoS really true? It's not breach of contract if the contractor wasn't being completely truthful about the working practices and RoS.

It's good marketing for the insurer to win a case.

If the insurer thinks the case is unlikely to win it must be because of the information supplied by the contractor was incorrect and they think that HMRC have a reasonable case.
                That's kind of what I meant - if the contractor had answered all the questions truthfully and was truly operating outside IR35, with real RoS, no MOO, Direction and all that, I would hope there'd be no circumstances under which the insurer wouldn't fight their corner.

If someone is truly outside now but switches to umbrella (because the only other option is unemployment) with the same client, I would expect an insurer to back them if HMRC opened an enquiry.

Comment

no official organisation has advised me that I have not provided my NI number. I would have thought by now if there were any issues, I would have been advised.

Comment

no official organisation has advised me that I have not provided my NI number. I would have thought by now if there were any issues, I would have been advised.
                    They probably weighed the risks of non-compliance against the risks of contacting you.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      They probably weighed the risks of non-compliance against the risks of contacting you.
                      now you are beginning to understand!

I guess the reason for the regulations is to ensure that no one who is not entitled to work in the UK is identified. So, if HMRC were to make an issue at any time, would it be

1. that the agency didn't report correctly
                      2. that the agency did pay someone who was not entitled to work in the UK.

My agency might be guilty of 1, but not 2. So would bureaucracy over ride reality?
                      Last edited by JohntheBike; 31 January 2020, 11:56.

Comment

Working...
                      X