• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No PSCs - why the surprise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
    The resource still has to be accounted for. So not as employees but as external resources/consultancy. That's not cooking the books.
    But you wouldn't put in your accounts that you have consultancy resource of X bodies as you may not know how many (offshore) resources you bought with the multi-million pound contract.

You can only say we have this many FTEs employed by us. That still disguises the true level of resource needed to run the operation.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      But you wouldn't put in your accounts that you have consultancy resource of X bodies as you may not know how many (offshore) resources you bought with the multi-million pound contract.

You can only say we have this many FTEs employed by us. That still disguises the true level of resource needed to run the operation.
      The shareholders really don't care as long as the company is making a decent profit.

Comment

The shareholders really don't care as long as the company is making a decent profit.
        I think you're slightly missing the point. Turnover per FTE is a measure used in some businesses. If you can hide FTE through contracts and do fancy accounting to capitalise some of those costs, it makes the business look more efficient than it really is.

Comment

Not enough profit? Headcount freeze. The work still needs to be done, so contractors are brought it. I remember back in 2000, a permie IT worker in a bank complaining about the number of contractors in his workplace who'd been there for years.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I think you're slightly missing the point. Turnover per FTE is a measure used in some businesses. If you can hide FTE through contracts and do fancy accounting to capitalise some of those costs, it makes the business look more efficient than it really is.
            Again the shareholders don't care. The business looks efficient. They get their dividends.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Not enough profit? Headcount freeze. The work still needs to be done, so contractors are brought it. I remember back in 2000, a permie IT worker in a bank complaining about the number of contractors in his workplace who'd been there for years.
              I agree about the headcount freeze. But not about them bringing in tons of contractors. That was true in earlier years but it's not been the fact for several years now. Cost cutbacks now in the places I have worked mean contractors out. You do after all need a minimum number of permies to keep the place ticking over. And big projects are just not getting the funding that they used to. Sadly it's a whole different world than when I started out.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                what's that to do with you?
                this thread is just more fecking flannel.
                I think you have some issues. It might be time to try a hobby of some sort?

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
                  I think you have some issues. It might be time to try a hobby of some sort?
                  CUK is his hobby.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Again the shareholders don't care. The business looks efficient. They get their dividends.
                    When you work in an industry with a regulated asset base, it makes a difference.

Let's agree to disagree.

Comment

The fact remains no contractor has ever had to hold a gun to a clients head to get a contract. There is a need for us and there still is.

The game may change but it goes on.

Comment

Working...
                      X