• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of leaving IT over IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning 30 in a few months so probably a lot younger than most people here. Small warchest, no dependants.
    Done contracting for past 6 years and honestly, I can’t see any other option for myself.
    Too tired already to become a brainless worker, overmanaged, underpaid that spends 10h/d in a room without windows so that he can afford a roof over head and food on the table.
    Unless it is something I like doing I will not work an hour in my life for the man. I’d rather move in with my parents and eat their food for the rest of my life.
    Call me mad but this is the way I see it.
    10 more days in my overpriced rent in north london, breaking free of that than just flying by the seat of my pants.
    Maybe this will force me to find my own way in life.
    As someone said above:
    “ It is not the strongest of the species that survives but the most adaptable‘’
    Last edited by GigiBronz; 1 February 2020, 16:16.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Unless it is something I like doing I will not work an hour in my life for the man. I’d rather move in with my parents and eat their food for the rest of my life.
      Call me mad but this is the way I see it.
      Maybe realise that we all need to do stuff we don't want to sometimes if we're to support ourselves financially. Shamelessly sponging off your parents shouldn't even be on your radar. Especially not at the age of 29.
      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
        Maybe realise that we all need to do stuff we don't want to sometimes if we're to support ourselves financially. Shamelessly sponging off your parents shouldn't even be on your radar. Especially not at the age of 29.
        Am aware, and have always tried to put myself in a situation to better understand myself and what are the options. And as I have said in another thread, worked as a supermarket assistant during the winter. Good experience of how the working class is doing. Not for me.
        Just because everyone has chosen to give up all of their freedoms in expectation of the "golden age" that might never come.
        Investing in a property that is overpriced and expecting the millennials to just buy it and abide to the dream. It does not mean that I should.
        I will be fine anyway, if I managed to do well so far I will manage to do something looking forward. Hopefully. The part that truly bothers me is the increasingly accent on control and "manageable worker".
        As for my parents, living with them would be worst case scenario, but don't think they would mind it. And would still see it better than doing a 50k/y 50h/w permi job that I despise.
        Just my two cents.

Comment

Definitely. If it all goes to hell to the extent that it costs me my house for example, begging for a perm job in some Central London cubicle farm is not on my list of desirable options.

I prefer either leaving the country, or downsizing to a degree where OH and I can make sure we both never need to earn above the tax threshold again.

Comment

Originally posted by PSChick View Post
            Definitely. If it all goes to hell to the extent that it costs me my house for example, begging for a perm job in some Central London cubicle farm is not on my list of desirable options.

I prefer either leaving the country, or downsizing to a degree where OH and I can make sure we both never need to earn above the tax threshold again.
            But this is a silly thing to say. We are quite happy doing it as disguised permies at the same client for crap loads of money. You'd be doing the same work for the same clients except they would be your employer and it would be through a contract of employment.

Diss'ing permies roles on that reasoning is just daft. Talking about the endless reviews, lack of money and holidays etc maybe, but the environments they have that we already working seems odd.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              But this is a silly thing to say. We are quite happy doing it as disguised permies at the same client for crap loads of money. You'd be doing the same work for the same clients except they would be your employer and it would be through a contract of employment.
              That maybe true, but from a sanity perspective some of use dread becoming a perm. Don't you remember watching all the perms being forced to attend mandatory b!llsh!t meetings to listen to someone further up the food chain spout their PR rubbish about how great everything is, whilst contractors didn't have to attend any of it. One final thought ... APPRAISALS!! Just the very thought of that god awful word sends a cold shiver down my spine!

Comment

OGG!

Comment

Originally posted by juckky View Post
                  That maybe true, but from a sanity perspective some of use dread becoming a perm. Don't you remember watching all the perms being forced to attend mandatory b!llsh!t meetings to listen to someone further up the food chain spout their PR rubbish about how great everything is, whilst contractors didn't have to attend any of it. One final thought ... APPRAISALS!! Just the very thought of that god awful word sends a cold shiver down my spine!
                  Those wireless earbuds are great for tuning out some of that nonsense. Get some really subtle ones (not the apple tat) and it'll just look like double hearing aids

Comment

Originally posted by juckky View Post
                    That's how you get pushed into submission. Continuous pressure, little hints thrown out into the conversation telling you: "You are not good enough" "Work harder" You know you are one of the best around but rubbish, it's not enough. The person there wants all he can get.
                    Continuous meetings about "doing the right thing", you are expected to embrace all these joyful ideas and buzz words and play around with them and mingle with the rest of the herd. Don't forget about the team buildings where you are studied and even further brainwashed. It is mandatory as well to go. Don't dare saying a word that can be interpreted another way and that undermines their "culture" because you'll quickly be put to your place, you ungrateful worker.
                    Let's not forget everything is about culture nowadays, they are all so proud of it, I get nauseous even hearing the word. It's a bacterial culture that is what it is.
                    You get pushed and pushed until one point where you don't see any other option, you've had enough of the tulip show, you are tired, so you succumb into the idea and become another brainless permi.
                    Don't even get me started in the office politics.

Comment

Wowsers.

Someone's got issues.

You ok hun?

Comment

Working...
                      X