• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of leaving IT over IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Or you get people very good at something but the only way to reward them is to promote them to management. Not everyone is management material so you end up with a brilliant worker taken out of the role they're good at, and hopefully enjoys, and puts them in an environment where they can only fail.
    I have to say that Hitachi were very good at overcoming this perennial issue. I was a middle manager paid in the executive manager pay scale

Comment

I certainly seriously considered leaving IT as a result of this crap.

Unfortunately it's the only thing that people will believe I can do.

I am pretty good (self taught) at plumbing. electrics and vehicle mechanics but no-one's going to give me a job in any of that when I have never had one.

I still have a mortgage in spite of being ancient so still need to pay that unless I sell up and downsize (which I'd rather not as that will just give a lot of money to lawyers, estate agents and the government for not much gain).

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

I am pretty good (self taught) at plumbing. electrics and vehicle mechanics but no-one's going to give me a job in any of that when I have never had one.

I still have a mortgage in spite of being ancient so still need to pay that unless I sell up and downsize (which I'd rather not as that will just give a lot of money to lawyers, estate agents and the government for not much gain).
        being ancient
        there's still a great deal of ageism outside of contracting.

Comment

Or you get people very good at something but the only way to reward them is to promote them to management. Not everyone is management material so you end up with a brilliant worker taken out of the role they're good at, and hopefully enjoys, and puts them in an environment where they can only fail.
          Cue, a link to "Peter Principle" it will be very familiar to you. Peter principle - Wikipedia
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            there's still a great deal of ageism outside of contracting.
            Can't say it has been a problem for me actually. In my 60's now and retiring soon from a permie position.
            Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 3 February 2020, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Cue, a link to "Peter Principle" it will be very familiar to you. Peter principle - Wikipedia
              I couldn't remember what it was called, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

Lots of people do retrain into those areas so maybe work on getting the associated qualifications you need to work in those trades?

Comment

I couldn't remember what it was called, thank you!
                  More than happy to oblige. If you are interested in this stuff, you need to read about Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia too.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    Can't say it has been a problem for me actually. In my 60's now and retiring soon from a permie position.
                    well, some have been lucky. I made my first voluntary move before redundancy caught up with me, but two further moves were forced on me by redundancy. All redundancy exercises were due to company downsizing IT functions or out sourcing. The older employees seemed to be chosen over younger individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                      well, some have been lucky. I made my first voluntary move before redundancy caught up with me, but two further moves were forced on me by redundancy. All redundancy exercises were due to company downsizing IT functions or out sourcing. The older employees seemed to be chosen over younger individuals.
                      It "might" have suited the older workers, though that's not always the case.

Comment

Working...
                      X