• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of leaving IT over IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    It "might" have suited the older workers, though that's not always the case.
    yes, for the old older workers perhaps, but it seems that for a time 40 was a watershed.

Comment

I'm starting a new gig in March via Umbrella because circumstances dictate I need to keep the money coming in for a bit yet, but I'm now actively planning my escape route.

As much as the brolly gig is a drop in pay, its still nothing compared to what my current client or future one are offering by way of permit salary, so I'm still in an ok position.

Comment

Contract finishes at the end of Feb. No renewal but the possibility of a short term contract while they recruit a permie (and I can apply if I wish and it "may" be inside). Politely declined and told Client I will continue to do all I can to help but will walk on the 28th.

Going to take a holiday, play some golf and chill a bit. Not sure I am ready to retire fully (aged 62) but thinking about it....
        We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Originally posted by Hertsseasider View Post
          Contract finishes at the end of Feb. No renewal but the possibility of a short term contract while they recruit a permie (and I can apply if I wish and it "may" be inside). Politely declined and told Client I will continue to do all I can to help but will walk on the 28th.

Going to take a holiday, play some golf and chill a bit. Not sure I am ready to retire fully (aged 62) but thinking about it....
          I'm really glad you posted that as I'm 52 and sat here thinking WTF am I doing still competing for developer contracts at my age and with all that is going on! But the other side of me says I'm too young to retire, much as I love golf. In fact, I'm having a little competition with myself. See if I can break 100 at golf for the first time in years and also get my weekly alcohol units down to below 100. The golf looks the easier bet.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            I'm really glad you posted that as I'm 52 and sat here thinking WTF am I doing still competing for developer contracts at my age and with all that is going on! But the other side of me says I'm too young to retire, much as I love golf. In fact, I'm having a little competition with myself. See if I can break 100 at golf for the first time in years and also get my weekly alcohol units down to below 100. The golf looks the easier bet.
            My pleasure. I am a bit sensitive to those on here that need to work but consider myself lucky enough to be able to take a break.

Good luck with the golf, its a bloody frustrating game at times.
            We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
              ..pension (37y left until pension age, with these uncertain times I see no point in investing in one for now)
              I. Am. Speechless.

(Handy hint: I've put 30 years of very tax-efficient contributions into my self-managed pension; I sleep very, very easy at nights now, even in these IR35-ridden days.)
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                I. Am. Speechless.

(Handy hint: I've put 30 years of very tax-efficient contributions into my self-managed pension; I sleep very, very easy at nights now, even in these IR35-ridden days.)
                I know I haven't done enough pension-wise in the past and am playing catch up now. Regrettable but that's my bed to lie in.

When you're young, you think retirement is so far away that saving for it seems like a job for another day.

It's a bit like the Chinese proverb: the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  I. Am. Speechless.

I disagree

Live your life now, not when you are 1/2 deed and old duffer

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    I disagree

is it illegal to do both??
                    an its deid, no deed yah bam.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      I disagree

I'm all for living for today, absolutely. I just want to make sure tomorrow is covered too...

Comment

Working...
                      X