• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short term contracts outside of IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You really need to do a lot more of your own research to make your own opinion. Your lack of knowledge about one of the big changes to hit contracting in 20 years is staggering IMO.
    Forums are a great place to start though. I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Thankfully I have managed to secure some outside IR35 work. I don't know how rare this is - fairly rare it would appear from the anecdotal evidence I have seen.
      I'd wait till this change is rolled out in full in April and then assess how many true outside roles there is. I have a feeling that anyone looking desperately for contractors now is definitely going to say "outside" as they are well aware that "inside" will scare 95% of potential applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
        I'd wait till this change is rolled out in full in April and then assess how many true outside roles there is. I have a feeling that anyone looking desperately for contractors now is definitely going to say "outside" as they are well aware that "inside" will scare 95% of potential applicants.
        I actually heard that from a couple of recruiters: they say outside whereas in reality, it's inside. Dirty game though...

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
          Not so sure about that. I think clients will be much more risk averse than that.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If a contract is deemed inside. The employer will have to calculate paye tax and NI on an annual basis as that is how paye tax is calculated. If it is only a 3 month contract and I do 4 contracts inside per year each 3 months in length, all at different rates. The paye tax calculation will be completely wrong if each one taxes based on their respective rates on an annual basis.

Surely this is another reason why outside makes more sense for short term contract?

The know it all arrogance on this forum is like I've never seen before in my 20+ years on internet forums.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Not so sure about that. I think clients will be much more risk averse than that.
              I'm sure some (most?) contractors would probably flip when discovering that the role is inside (and I can't imagine it would take long to be told by the client, unless you are dealing with a clueless client - something not that uncommon I think), but I also wouldn't be surprised if some would just stay, especially considering the current market and how it's probably not going to get any better closer to April.

It might just play out that way in the end ie. agent advertises a role, says it's outside, client says yes, yes it's outside, you come in, everyone keeps repeating it's outside, you are happy you found something in the current market, then they tell you March that yes most likely you are outside, but would it be so bad if you were inside? after which you get told you are in, but the market is so tulipe, that you decide to stay anyways (especially if throw in a mortgage, wife + kids, car lease etc. into the mix).

Comment

Originally posted by Skag View Post
                In various perm positions...

From what I gather though, the issue with the blanket ban is that most contractors were disguised employees etc etc... therefore illegit in terms of IR35, and this was the point of the spear that started this whole charade (or partly at least) with NIC and tax evasion and all.
                You meant, at least I hope, avoidance. If you don't know the difference then I despair.

Comment

Working...
                X