• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worth one last final try?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be there on Wednesday. If you can go, why on Earth wouldn't you?
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      It is much more than just a shift in liability. It means that a biased party is determining your tax burden. It means that they make that determination not based merely on the justice of the matter but on their own concerns. The person/company that determines your tax liability is threatened by the power of the state if they decide on a lower rather than higher number.

In short, it's a violation of due process, placing contractors before a biased tax tribunal.
      That's fair enough, you make a good point.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        and I thought I was the only one who believed that. Remember the FTT used to be called the "Commissioners for Taxes", or similar, and were always biased in my opinion.
        In that case, you haven't been paying attention. I said it here, and you commented right after that.

I'm of the view it violates the ECHR 6.1. Perhaps someone like IPSE could challenge it on that basis, if they aren't too busy pointlessly lobbying someone or other.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          To be fair, the law doesn't need to change, just the clients' implementation of such.
          No. The law gives clients strong incentives to implement it in exactly the way that they have.

Declare people outside? Potential tax liability.

Declare people inside? Potential employment tribunal liability.

Stop hiring PSCs? No potential liability. Just harder, at least for a while, to get projects done, until contractors get hungry and are willing to go umbrella or FTC.

In almost every case, the third option will be more appealing to clients.

Comment

In that case, you haven't been paying attention. I said it here, and you commented right after that.

I'm of the view it violates the ECHR 6.1. Perhaps someone like IPSE could challenge it on that basis, if they aren't too busy pointlessly lobbying someone or other.
            In that case, you haven't been paying attention.
            sorry, I am getting a little forgetful. It comes with old age.

if they aren't too busy pointlessly lobbying someone or other
            isn't that what they've been doing all along?

Comment

No. The law gives clients strong incentives to implement it in exactly the way that they have.

Stop hiring PSCs? No potential liability. Just harder, at least for a while, to get projects done, until contractors get hungry and are willing to go umbrella or FTC.

In almost every case, the third option will be more appealing to clients.

agreed.

agreed

Stop hiring PSCs? No potential liability.
              agreed, and even I didn't see that coming!

it will be interesting though how HMRC will defend their assertion that genuinely self employed contractors will not be affected by the change in regulations. Clearly, clients have already demonstrated that this is not the case. However, HMRC are so intransigent, that they will stick their heads in the sand and ignore all contrary evidence or lie about the situation. How interested MP's are taking what Jesse dishes out without seriously challenging him, beggars belief.

I really can't see that option 3 will change much, unless there are severe repercussions in the market place, or there is some clever challenge to that position.

Comment

Working...
              X