• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worth one last final try?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westminster Protest and Lobby Day - Stop The Off-Payroll Tax

Too late given that clients are already complying. Why would they want to change when, from their POV, companies are doing exactly what they wanted them to do.

Comment

The issue isn't with off payroll tax, the issue is with clients' knee-jerk reaction to it.

These kind of protests to simply postpone what's already happening baffle me.

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
        The issue isn't with off payroll tax, the issue is with clients' knee-jerk reaction to it.

what knee jerk reaction. if anything clients have been slow to react. they knew this was coming 2 years ago.

Comment

All you have to do is turn up for an hour and maybe hold up a placard. Get a chance to meet others in the same boat. If you do nothing then nothing will change. It's an hour of your time, is that really too much to ask (time assumption based on working in London). If it is too much, then no wonder contractors are getting a beating from HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
            what knee jerk reaction. if anything clients have been slow to react. they knew this was coming 2 years ago.

Where have you been? You don't think all of these blanket decisions are knee-jerk?

Clients have panicked and reacted in a way that's detrimental to all parties, not least themselves. That is what needs addressing most. The contracting game has survived under ir35 for years, it's now that clients are the decision makers that it's gone tits up.

Comment

Where have you been? You don't think all of these blanket decisions are knee-jerk?

Clients have panicked and reacted in a way that's detrimental to all parties, not least themselves. That is what needs addressing most. The contracting game has survived under ir35 for years, it's now that clients are the decision makers that it's gone tits up.
              Clients are not going to change their minds unless the law is changed. To get the law changed you need to influence politicians. Clients don't care whether you are inside/umbrella whatever. No skin off their nose. The market isn't exactly great so there will be sufficient supply of people willing to take the pay cut. If you want change do something about it. Holding up a placard for an hour is hardly a big ask.

Comment

no

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                  Clients are not going to change their minds unless the law is changed. To get the law changed you need to influence politicians. Clients don't care whether you are inside/umbrella whatever. No skin off their nose. The market isn't exactly great so there will be sufficient supply of people willing to take the pay cut. If you want change do something about it. Holding up a placard for an hour is hardly a big ask.
                  I think you're missing my point though. IR35 has been around for ages. Why protest now? Is it because the market's took a good old hit, because if so I'm suggesting that's not a lot (at all) to do with the details of what's caught by IR35 and more to do with the fact the clients are now responsible for deciding so.

The clients are being lazy and paranoid, but everyone's pointing the finger at HMRC. IR35 is what it is, it's not very popular for obvious reasons - but protest against the many, many, many clients that are reacting naively.

Comment

By the way, I'm open to being told I'm wrong here if I'm missing some detail of the reform that makes it much more than just a shift in liability. My point is that the clients are the problem, beyond the obvious issues with IR35 that's been around for ages.

Comment

Working...
                    X