• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What good might this Lords committee review do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess this is more of a politics question

With how Mr SillyTax's promised review sounds worthless and how consultation responses were largely ignored, what potential benefit does this newly announced Lords committee investigation have?

Lords committee investigates the extension of off-payroll working rules/

It's asking for comments on things like:
    What effect will these new measures have on a chain of contractors and sub-contractors?
    In your opinion, are there better or simpler ways in which the objective of the new rules might be achieved?
    Does the CEST require improvement? If so, how might it be improved?

It may have no teeth but I'd encourage people to write in with details of how this is affecting them. Definitely those small businesses at risk of going under because of policy decisions, and legit contractors choosing to stop work rather than continue in the new world.

I will certainly look at this more closely this evening.

Comment

If I was to believe for one minute that this would bring about anything more meaningful than an excuse for a bunch of chums to get together before lunch, then;

1. The Affects are currently clear for all to see. Discussion redundant.
      2. The objective to 'earning increased tax revenues' (since that is the ultimate aim) might be just to add a coupla percent to the Corporation tax. Job done. Discussion redundant
      3. Since it appears the clients have not / are no longer using CEST to decide anything, both its very existence AND the discussion are redundant.

Lunch?

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
        At best, nothing. It could make things worse. Look at the LC review.

Comment

I had a reply from my MP which included a letter from Jesse Norman to 'address my concerns'.

According to the Treasury:
          • There is widespread non-conformance to the rules.
          • Everyone should pay the right amount of tax.
          • The roll out to the public sector was successful and raised more tax than expected.
          • There is no evidence of large corporations taking blanket decisions.
          • And even if there was, they've put a dispute process in place to protect contractors.

But I'm not really telling anyone anything they don't already know.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            At best, nothing. It could make things worse. Look at the LC review.
            GPWM

Part of me does wonder if they could use a lack of response as an indicator of no impact, without realising that a lack of response is due to a lack of faith that anything (positive, relatively speaking) will come of it.

Comment

Originally posted by eatenrifles View Post
              I had a reply from my MP which included a letter from Jesse Norman to 'address my concerns'.

• There is widespread non-conformance to the rules.
              • Everyone should pay the right amount of tax.
              • The roll out to the public sector was successful and raised more tax than expected.
              • There is no evidence of large corporations taking blanket decisions.
              • And even if there was, they've put a dispute process in place to protect contractors.

But I'm not really telling anyone anything they don't already know.
              The roll out to the public sector was successful and raised more tax than expected.
              they hadn't had a complete cycle to be able to claim that. It's surprising that the response to these false claims is so muted.

Comment

Originally posted by eatenrifles View Post

• There is widespread non-conformance to the rules. - note the use of rules rather than law
                • Everyone should pay the right amount of tax. - fully agree. It is HMRC who want to flout the law
                • The roll out to the public sector was successful and raised more tax than expected. - HMRC lied
                • There is no evidence of large corporations taking blanket decisions. - Another lie
                • And even if there was, they've put a dispute process in place to protect contractors. - ROFL

But I'm not really telling anyone anything they don't already know. - Indeed
                Comments in bold

Comment

Also, if you gave your true name and contact details to such a government body, isn't that just making yourself an easier target for HMRC/Gov ?? (although it would make no difference to whether you win or lose).

If they accepted snail-mail submissions then I might have written in without leaving a trace.

Comment

on the contrary to most posts here, I see this as a VERY significant development. This and the loan charge article on the main page. It seems to me that FINALLY, somebody is listening.

Comment

Working...
                    X