• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End Client and Consultancy, who should be making the determinations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No. It may still apply if you are a bum on seat at the consultancy working on a work package to sell the client. In this case the client is a consumer of services of your consultancy, not of yours.. The engagement with the consultancy to deliver bum seat day by day work from you is an ir35 problem.

If you are engaged in a way you deliver a workpackage to the consultancy as company work could indicate ir35 doesn't apply.

That make sense?

When you say services to the end client I think that might mean personal services if that makes it any clearer.
    First and foremost, my services are supplied to the end client exclusively from the offices of MyCo. I do not attend at either the offices of the consultancy nor the client. However, there is clearly an issue with how some individuals perform their duties. I can't say I understand the finer legal points, but in effect the consultancy is saying that some assessments will be made by QDOS for the consultancy and some for the client. But if you read my post about umbrellas, the consultancy is saying that the "assessments" will not constitute an SDS. I really can't see how they can claim that. But I guess it's a ploy to avoid any employment claims for anyone assessed as inside IR35.

Comment

It's what you deliver, not where.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's what you deliver, not where.
        there is no SDC, but then QDOS might have a different perspective from Abbey Tax, who agreed there is no SDC.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          First and foremost, my services are supplied to the end client exclusively from the offices of MyCo. I do not attend at either the offices of the consultancy nor the client. However, there is clearly an issue with how some individuals perform their duties. I can't say I understand the finer legal points, but in effect the consultancy is saying that some assessments will be made by QDOS for the consultancy and some for the client. But if you read my post about umbrellas, the consultancy is saying that the "assessments" will not constitute an SDS. I really can't see how they can claim that. But I guess it's a ploy to avoid any employment claims for anyone assessed as inside IR35.
          Does something someone might or might not call an SDS even have any legal bearing before April?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            Does something someone might or might not call an SDS even have any legal bearing before April?
            I guess you are correct. An "assessment" can't be called an SDS prior to April, but it is the same in reality. But it's a clever ploy, because the organisation issuing the "assessment" will not be obliged to justify its conclusions, as the mechanism for that will only apply in April., when an SDS becomes a requirement.

Comment

I didn't think it had any legs until it kicks in in April so doesn't matter what you call it right now, assessment or SDS, but either way it's all the information you need to know about your engagement after April?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

From the draft ESM10013
                Status determinations made prior to 6 April 2020 can be a valid SDS for engagements carrying on after 6 April 2020 providing they meet the legislative requirements. The SDS must include the reason for reaching the conclusion and have been passed to the worker and any third party the client contracts with.
                The requirements being:
                • state in the SDS whether or not the worker would be an employee or office holder, or is an office holder, for tax and NICs purposes if they were directly engaged by the client.
                • provide their reasons for coming to that conclusion.
                • have taken reasonable care in coming to their conclusion

Comment

I didn't think it had any legs until it kicks in in April so doesn't matter what you call it right now, assessment or SDS, but either way it's all the information you need to know about your engagement after April?
                  I think there are subtle differences

- As above, you can't challenge the assessment (as you are legally allowed to do post-April - not that it will make any difference)
                  - As an assessment is not an SDS so I can't see it holding as much power in the hands of IR35. eg, Whilst clients have to take reasonable care to create an SDS, is there such a stipulation for an assessment?

Interestingly, the gov.uk page states:

A status determination statement issued before 6 April 2020 is valid under the new rules, if it contains the reasons for the conclusion reached. If the working practices of the engagement change or you negotiate a new contract with the worker, you need to make sure that you re-check the rules to see if they still apply.
                  That sounds a bit retrospective to me. Its all of a bit of a moot point however - I'd not be sticking around at a client who gave an inside assessment, whether they called it an SDS or not.
                  Last edited by Paralytic; 7 February 2020, 17:29.

Comment

Working...
                  X