• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC announces change to the off-payroll working rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC announces change to the off-payroll working rules

Changes to the operation of the off-payroll working rules will only apply to payments made for services provided on or after 6 April 2020, HMRC has announced today ahead of the publication of the government’s review.

The formal publication of a review into the implementation of changes to the off-payroll working rules is due to conclude in February.

A common issue raised over the course of the review has been businesses’ concerns over what payments the rules apply to and from when. The government has listened and taken action early to give businesses certainty and more time to prepare to ensure the smooth and successful implementation of the reforms that come into force in April.

The rules, also known as IR35, will now apply only to payments made for services provided on or after 6 April 2020. Previously, the rules would have applied to any payments made on or after 6 April 2020, regardless of when the services were carried out. It means organisations will only need to determine whether the rules apply for contracts they plan to continue beyond 6 April 2020, supporting businesses as they prepare.
    HMRC announces change to the off-payroll working rules - GOV.UK
    Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

some concession at least. This will alleviate the situation where contractors are not renewing after the end of February.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      some concession at least. This will alleviate the situation where contractors are not renewing after the end of February.
      Not sure I'd see this as a concession. Basic common sense would have been more my phrase.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Not sure I'd see this as a concession. Basic common sense would have been more my phrase.
        well, based on what you've said, this didn't happen in the public sector.

Comment

Its a bit late in the day surely? Everyone I know has basically had contracts terminated at the end of February and has had to either sign up for brolly/paye or find something else from 2nd of March. Nobody is going to back down on that for an extra month given the amount of paperwork and resource it would need.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            well, based on what you've said, this didn't happen in the public sector.
            It didn't no and caused a lot of confusion and hassle.

Comment

This gives a small number of clients their contractor resource for another 3 or 4 weeks, this gives a small number of contractors another 3 or 4 weeks to secure another role.

Being cynical, if I wanted to keep my contractors in the game as long as possible I'd send out comms today stating that we're now going to await the outcome of the IR35 review and budget on the 11th of March, seeing as how you are allowed to provide services under the current arrangement until the 6th of April, keep them hanging on and get whatever projects you can closed off or halted gracefully.

As a contractor, you have another 3 or 4 weeks to find another role, use the extra time wisely, at this point everyone should expect inside determinations.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                This is the treasury we are talking about, common sense is a concession
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  This is the treasury we are talking about, common sense is a concession
                  Very good point well made.

Comment

Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
                    This gives a small number of clients their contractor resource for another 3 or 4 weeks, this gives a small number of contractors another 3 or 4 weeks to secure another role.

Being cynical, if I wanted to keep my contractors in the game as long as possible I'd send out comms today stating that we're now going to await the outcome of the IR35 review and budget on the 11th of March, seeing as how you are allowed to provide services under the current arrangement until the 6th of April, keep them hanging on and get whatever projects you can closed off or halted gracefully.

As a contractor, you have another 3 or 4 weeks to find another role, use the extra time wisely, at this point everyone should expect inside determinations.
                    Sorry to nitpick but aren't the two items, now in bold, a contradiction in terms?

Is it yet fair to say that the wider client estate has just thrown the towel in and, while not assessing at all - blanket or otherwise, blanket halted the use of contractors? This being only based on the greater majority of the news being one of towel throwing...

Comment

Working...
                    X