Taking dividends next year Taking dividends next year - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 30
  1. #11

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    20,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSim View Post
    I am a libertarian, i have always thought that taxation is theft, even before I started contracting. But now I think it even more so. If you want me to stop posting here, then I can do that. No problem.

    Taxation as theft - Wikipedia
    Do you use roads, have rubbish that needs collecting, use your GP or the NHS.

    If not then I admire your principles, if not then pay at least some of your tax without whinging.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  2. #12

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    10,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    They could, but you would have to change the share allocation and issue different types of shares i.e. Alphabet Shares. If the only reason you do this is to avoid paying tax HMRC will take a dim view.
    Whereas if the spouse is already company secretary with a shareholding then check with your accountant what can be taken.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  3. #13

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Do you use roads, have rubbish that needs collecting, use your GP or the NHS.

    If not then I admire your principles, if not then pay at least some of your tax without whinging.
    exactly.
    And 32% tax is 8% less than a permie would pay on the same money.
    And Peter Simpleton can still pay into his pension.
    See You Next Tuesday

  4. #14

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Whereas if the spouse is already company secretary with a shareholding then check with your accountant what can be taken.
    This, provided the wife is C.S and has a different share class to you and there is enough profit/retained earnings within the company, you can pay as much as you want to them - confirmed by accountant. Apparently it's basic tax planning.

  5. #15

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    exactly.
    And 32% tax is 8% less than a permie would pay on the same money.
    And Peter Simpleton can still pay into his pension.
    If go PAYE but want to keep the LTD open and drain the divs to "top up" the salary, I presume you would just simply disclose the divs as normal via a SATR and pay the tax separately for the divs?

  6. #16

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    42,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CompoundOverload View Post
    If go PAYE but want to keep the LTD open and drain the divs to "top up" the salary, I presume you would just simply disclose the divs as normal via a SATR and pay the tax separately for the divs?
    Of course. Nothing changes in that respect.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #17

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CompoundOverload View Post
    If go PAYE but want to keep the LTD open and drain the divs to "top up" the salary, I presume you would just simply disclose the divs as normal via a SATR and pay the tax separately for the divs?
    yup.
    And make changes to the POA at the same time if you need to. Which is likely as you'll be draining the company so no expected POA.
    See You Next Tuesday

  8. #18

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    yup.
    And make changes to the POA at the same time if you need to. Which is likely as you'll be draining the company so no expected POA.
    POA?

  9. #19

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CompoundOverload View Post
    POA?
    Payment on Account (for self assessment). The amount you have to pay every Jan/July.

  10. #20

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CompoundOverload View Post
    POA?
    it's what you pay before you owe it.
    I've already paid half my tax SA for tax year 2019/2020 even though the year hasn't ended.

    Understand your Self Assessment tax bill: Payments on account - GOV.UK
    See You Next Tuesday

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •