• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client collecting data for IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client collecting data for IR35

For IR35 purposes; client is requesting contractors provide the name of their PSC even though they come through an agency - why is this?

Originally posted by NKR View Post
    For IR35 purposes; client is requesting contractors provide the name of their PSC even though they come through an agency - why is this?
    So they can provide that to HMRC perhaps?
    Or perhaps they are doing a due dilligence process on their supply chain?

I would ask why they don't get that from the agency. Especially as you probably have a clause in your contract limiting what you can discuss with the client about your own business.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I would be more worried if a client had no idea what companies they have on site regardless of relationship.

Seems totally reasonable to have a register of determination against supplier for a host of reasons. Not sure why the agent can't supply this but I'm sure agents are as much as a pain in the arse to clients as us so just get it from the horses mouth.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I would be more worried if a client had no idea what companies they have on site regardless of relationship.

Seems totally reasonable to have a register of determination against supplier for a host of reasons. Not sure why the agent can't supply this but I'm sure agents are as much as a pain in the arse to clients as us so just get it from the horses mouth.
        The supplier is the agency - the relationship beyond that agency is not the end clients concern...
        On the otherside the client does have the right to confirm that the person provided can legally work in the UK and is appropriately qualified but the bit in the middle doesn't matter until April when HMRC has decided that it does matter...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The supplier is the agency - the relationship beyond that agency is not the end clients concern...
          On the otherside the client does have the right to confirm that the person provided can legally work in the UK and is appropriately qualified but the bit in the middle doesn't matter until April when HMRC has decided that it does matter...
          Quite possibly but with the complexities thrust upon them it's hardly unimaginable some clients may go a little over the top with the diligence... particularly when HMRC are going to contact them in the near future for a list of outside to inside contractors

Comment

Banking clients want your limited company details when screening so they should have all that, even if going via the screening company again with a request.

The screening company job itself seems like money for old rope. Cobble together a website and reject/accept/refer based on the answers.

Them wanting the company name is interesting, though, I must admit. Paranoia suggests HMRC or at least to see if you're low-hanging fruit or not. "Dave Thomas Consulting" rather than "Flexgen", while semantics to us, may show something more to HMRC, never sure what they think; potentially Flexgen see themselves as a future growth business whereas the other one is a one-person tax vehicle to be harvested?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              HMRC are going to contact them in the near future for a list of outside to inside contractors
              Sorry but how would a client know the self-determined status of a contractor pre April 6th?

Comment

Originally posted by realaledrinker View Post
                Sorry but how would a client know the self-determined status of a contractor pre April 6th?
                Eh? I think you missed the point. They don't and won't care. HMRC will and do care.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your responses. Agency couldn't shine any light on client request either, they did confirm they would provide if asked but no such request received to date. Will let you know if anything substantial comes to light.

Comment

Working...
                  X